FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College volleyball team took a one-set lead before Gallaudet captured sets four and five to escape with a 3-2 defeat of the Blazers.
- Gallaudet won 25-11, 24-26, 24-26, 25-23, 15-13.
Inside the Box Score
- Carrington Ray had 12 kills for the Blazers.
- Fabiola Melendez-Rivera's 33 digs are tied for the eight-most in a match at Hood and are a season-high for the Blazers.
- Kameron Crawford tallied 17 assists and 16 digs, while Ashley Williams added 16 assists.
- Walissa Jaque led Hood with five blocks.
How it Happened
- Hood tied the first set with a four-point surge fueled by two kills by Tailyn Kite and one by Ray to tie the score at 8-8. It was all Gallaudet the rest of the way, as the Bison used five kills from Karita Lewis to spark a 17-3 run to close the set.
- The second set featured 24 ties and 11 lead changes among the 50 total points between the teams. Taylor Schaefer's kill that made it 7-5 was the only time either team led by more than a point before Emma Elizondo's set sealing kill that gave the Blazers the 26-24 win.
- Lewis had four kills and a block during an 8-1 run to start the third set before Hood came back. The Blazers rallied and tied the set at 10-10 on a kill by Melendez-Rivera and Kite served up an ace for an 11-10 lead, capping a 10-2 run for Hood. Gallaudet reclaimed the lead and eventually went ahead 23-20 before Melendez-Rivera had two aces in a 6-1 run that put Hood on top 2-1.
- Two more kills by Lewis during a five-point run for the Bison in the fourth set turned a 13-12 deficit into a 17-13 lead. Hood trailed 23-18 but received back-to-back kills by Kite during a game-tying run that made it 23-23. Two kills by Gallaudet halted the Blazers' momentum and knotted the match at 2-2.
- Hood built a 7-2 lead in the decisive set before committing four attack errors in a set-tying 6-1 run by Gallaudet. The Bison took the match by scoring the final three points after trailing 13-12.
- Karita Lewis was a force for Gallaudet with 25 kills, four aces and 16 digs. Demi Bingham dished out 56 assists, while Mia Upchurch added 30 digs.
Hood hosts Albright on October 23 at 7 p.m.