Posted: Oct 01, 2019
READING, Pa. - The Hood College volleyball team dropped a five-set decision at Alvernia in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
- The Golden Wolves won 25-18, 24-26, 23-25, 25-14, 15-9.
Inside the Box Score
- Carrington Ray had 13 kills for the Blazers.
- Ashley Williams recorded 17 assists and three aces.
- Tailyn Kite led Hood with six aces.
- Fabiola Melendez-Rivera tallied 14 digs.
How it Happened
- After falling behind 13-5, Williams had all three of her aces in a five-point surge that pulled the Blazers within three in the first set. Alvernia responded with a 9-2 run of its own to put the set out of reach.
- In the second set, Hood tied it at 23-23 and took the lead on an ace by Kite. A kill by Alvernia's Courtney Bimeline tied it again at 24-24. Ray and Emma Elizondo followed with back-to-back kills for Hood to tie the match at 1-1.
- The Blazers trailed 20-17 in set three but rattled off five straight points, including two aces by Melendez-Rivera, to take a 22-20 advantage. Mikala Persky had a kill and an ace back-to-back later in the set to bring Alvernia within 24-23 before Walissa Jaque gave Hood a 2-1 lead with a kill.
- The Golden Wolves claimed the fourth set before taking the first five points of set five to come back for the win.
- Olivia Frutiger had 13 kills to lead five Alvernia players in double figures.
- Alexis Schwenk had 52 assists and seven aces.
Hood hosts Shenandoah on Thursday, October 3 at 7 p.m.