ASTON, Pa. - The Hood College volleyball lost a pair of matches by 3-0 final scores to both Neumann and Christopher Newport on the first night of the Knights Invitational.
- Neumann won 25-14, 25-18, 25-15.
- Christopher Newport won 25-14, 25-20, 25-12.
Inside the Box Scores
- Tailyn Kite had a combined nine kills.
- Ashley Williams had 14 total assists.
- Samantha Baker had 28 digs, including 18 against Neumann.
- Shane Simms recorded three blocks.
Neumann 3, Hood 0
- Hood trailed 13-6 in the first set before closing to 16-14 after a kill by Kite. From there, the Knights scored the final nine points of the set to take a 1-0 lead in the match.
- Another late run in the second set put the Blazers behind 2-0. Hood tied the set after a kill by Carrington Ray and an ace by Walissa Jaque were followed by an attack error by Neumann to make it 15-15. Melanie Malseed rattled off three kills in an ensuing 7-0 run by the Knights to take control.
- The third set belonged to Neumann's Rachel Cray, who served four aces in a 6-0 run to open the set.
- Kite had five kills and just one error for Hood.
- Malseed and Ariana Pena each finished with 10 kills for the Knights. Cray added 33 assists and five aces.
Christopher Newport 3, Hood 0
- The Captains used four runs of four points each to slowly pull away from Hood in the first set for a 1-0 lead.
- Hood used a five-point run in the second set and erased a 10-5 deficit. After an 11-3 run by CNU built a 21-13 lead, the Blazers took advantage of some sloppy play by the Captains to pull within 23-20. A block by Maddie Erb and Ashley Burgess was followed by a Tiaralyn McBride service ace to claim the set.
- Christopher Newport came out firing in the third set with an 18-4 run.
- Baker had 10 digs and Simms had two solo blocks.
The Blazers wrap up action at the Knights Invitational against Moravian on Saturday, September 21. Hood's match with Keystone was canceled due to a lack of players for the Giants.