FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College women's volleyball team split a pair of matches on the final day of the Seahawk Invitational at the Blazers' BB&T Arena.
- Hood defeated Alvernia 21-25, 25-23, 27-25, 25-17.
- St. Mary's (Md.) defeated Hood 25-20, 25-7, 25-12.
Inside the Box Score
- Elena Zinaich tallied 20 kills between the two matches.
- Courtney Hutchinson added 15 total kills.
- Payton Belella finished the day with 48 assists and 21 digs.
- Renee Reus added 31 digs.
Hood 3, Alvernia 1
- Zinaich and Hutchinson combined for 29 kills to lead Hood the win.
- A kill from Tailyn Kite in the first set made the score 21-21 before the Golden Wolves scored the final four points of the set to go ahead 1-0.
- Hood trailed 23-21 in the second set but a kill by Zinaich was followed by three straight service aces by the senior to even the match at one set apiece.
- The Blazers mounted another comeback in the third set. Facing set point at 24-21, two service aces by Kite and two attack errors by Alvernia gave Hood a 25-24 lead. Olivia Frutiger tied the set but another error by the Golden Wolves made it 26-25. Hutchinson finished the set with an ace for a 2-1 Hood lead.
- Hood took the lead early in the fourth set and led by as many as eight before claiming the 25-17 win to finish the match.
- Zinaich had 16 kills, while Hutchinson added 13. Belella netted 37 assists. Kite served up six aces.
St. Mary's 3, Hood 0
- The Seahawks hit over .400 in two of the three sets as the Blazers' attack went cold.
- Hood trailed by five before a 4-0 run fueled by back-to-back aces by Belella made it 21-20 in the first set. The Seahawks responded with a 4-0 run of their own to take the first set.
- The Blazers trailed 10-7 in the second set before a 15-0 run by the Seahawks behind the service of Emily Benedict.
- St. Mary's used a 12-2 run in the third set to complete the sweep.
- The matches were played at Hood after the St. Mary's campus closed due to the pending arrival of Hurricane Florence.
Hood travels to Lycoming on September 19.