SCRANTON, Pa. - Hood College split a pair of matches on the second and final day of the Scranton Invitational. The Blazers fell to RIT 3-1 before rebounding to defeat Pitt-Bradford 3-2.
- RIT defeated Hood 22-25, 25-17, 25-21, 25-21.
- Hood defeated Pitt-Bradford 26-24, 25-19, 11-25, 15-25, 15-12.
Hood 3, Pitt-Bradford 2
- Tailyn Kite had 14 kills, while Elena Zinaich added 13 kills and three blocks.
- Payton Belella dished out 33 assists and Renee Reus added 15 digs.
- Kite, Zinaich and Courtney Hutchinson each had two aces.
- Hood started the first set with a 6-1 run but the Panthers responded to take a 9-8 lead. With the score tied 24-24, a ball handling error by Pitt-Bradford and a kill from Angel Scheetz gave the Blazers the early lead.
- A 7-2 run turned a one-point difference in the second set into a 25-19 win and a 2-0 lead.
- The Panthers used a 20-6 run in the third set to stay alive with a 25-11 victory to make it 2-1. Pitt-Bradford captured the fourth set, as well, forcing the fifth and decisive set.
- Hood trailed 11-6 in the fifth set before a service error from Pitt-Bradford started a 9-1 run. A block from Zinaich and Kite, an attack error and an ace by Hutchinson made it 11-10. After the Panthers called timeout, back-to-back attack errors put the Blazers ahead 12-11. After a kill by Pitt-Bradford's Riley Anderson tied the set at 12-12, Zinaich rattled off three straight kills to end the match.
- Emily Cleveland led the Panthers with 17 kills, 15 digs and five blocks.
RIT 3, Hood 1
- After the Blazers scored the win in the first set, the Tigers rebounded to win the next three and the match.
- Taylor Higgins had 10 kills for RIT to go along with 12 digs and four blocks.
- The Tigers' Brianna Ellis tallied 28 assists.
- RIT was particularly hot in the second set, hitting 11-0-23 (.478).
- No other information is available.
- Hood ends the tournament with a 2-2 record on the season.
The Blazers host Messiah in their Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opener on Wednesday, September 5 at 7 p.m.