Women's soccer ends in draw

Lydia Erickson (Photo by Craig Chase, craigchasephotography.com)
Lydia Erickson (Photo by Craig Chase, craigchasephotography.com)
Play Video

FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College women's soccer team battled the Catholic Cardinals to a 1-1 wash after double overtime.

Inside the Box Score

How it Happened

  • Hood struck first in the 13th minute. Merritt struck one into the bottom left corner after Scarborough played a long ball over the defense. 
  • The Cardinals had several chances to tie the game. Just a minute after Hood scored, Catholic's Elizabeth Johnson almost equalized but Colby Painter blocked the effort on the goal line. In the 35th minute, another opportunity came for the Cardinals when a Sarah Brush free kick struck the woodwork.
  • Shortly after, a ball played in by Grace Boras found Maggie Moorcones who beat the keeper tying the game 1-1 in the 36th.
  • A corner in the 62nd minute lad to a Sarah Brush header that struck the crossbar. 
  • In the first overtime, both teams had chances. Johnson found her way into the box but a last-ditch slide tackle from Ashley Wiedemann kept the score level. In the 95th minute, Scarborough nearly ran down a long pass but Cardinal keeper Nina Fernandez barely let the senior get a shot off near the top of the box. 
  • The Cardinals had the two best chances of the second overtime but the Hood defense did not break. Erickson made a point-blank save in the 109th minute. The final seconds of the game saw a Brush free kick that was just wide of the frame.


  • Catholic outshot Hood 32-9.
  • Nina Fernandez notched four saves.
  • The Blazers are now 4-1-1, while Catholic is 3-2-2. 
  • It marked the first time in 11 meetings between the sides all-time that the Cardinals did not pick up a victory. 
  • Hood last started 4-1-1 in 2017. 

Up Next

The Blazers hit the road Friday, September 20 to take on St. Elizabeth.

Women's soccer upends Eagles
September 20, 2019 Women's soccer upends Eagles
Women's soccer ends in draw
September 17, 2019 Women's soccer ends in draw