Posted: Sep 17, 2019
FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College women's soccer team battled the Catholic Cardinals to a 1-1 wash after double overtime.
Inside the Box Score
- Melissa Merritt added to her goal tally with her fourth of the season.
- Erin Scarborough had one helper.
- Lydia Erickson made 12 saves in net and played all 110 minutes.
How it Happened
- Hood struck first in the 13th minute. Merritt struck one into the bottom left corner after Scarborough played a long ball over the defense.
- The Cardinals had several chances to tie the game. Just a minute after Hood scored, Catholic's Elizabeth Johnson almost equalized but Colby Painter blocked the effort on the goal line. In the 35th minute, another opportunity came for the Cardinals when a Sarah Brush free kick struck the woodwork.
- Shortly after, a ball played in by Grace Boras found Maggie Moorcones who beat the keeper tying the game 1-1 in the 36th.
- A corner in the 62nd minute lad to a Sarah Brush header that struck the crossbar.
- In the first overtime, both teams had chances. Johnson found her way into the box but a last-ditch slide tackle from Ashley Wiedemann kept the score level. In the 95th minute, Scarborough nearly ran down a long pass but Cardinal keeper Nina Fernandez barely let the senior get a shot off near the top of the box.
- The Cardinals had the two best chances of the second overtime but the Hood defense did not break. Erickson made a point-blank save in the 109th minute. The final seconds of the game saw a Brush free kick that was just wide of the frame.
- Catholic outshot Hood 32-9.
- Nina Fernandez notched four saves.
- The Blazers are now 4-1-1, while Catholic is 3-2-2.
- It marked the first time in 11 meetings between the sides all-time that the Cardinals did not pick up a victory.
- Hood last started 4-1-1 in 2017.
The Blazers hit the road Friday, September 20 to take on St. Elizabeth.