Aug 30, 2019
FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Melissa Merritt scored a natural hat trick with the final three goals of a 6-0 victory over visiting Washington Adventist.
Inside the Box Score
- Merritt recorded the first hat trick for the Blazers since Alyssa Nubgaard pulled the feat in 2015.
- Jasmine Mangle added a goal and an assist.
- Erin Scarborough and Ashley Wiedemann both scored. For Weidemann, it was her first career score.
- Nicole Bautista and Michaela Provinzano added assists.
- Hood's defense turned in a strong performance, holding the Shock to just a pair of shots.
- Lydia Erickson made a save in 60 minutes, while ReidAnn Sever played the final 30 minutes.
How it Happened
- Late in the 12th minute, Bautista slipped a ball to Mangle for the game's first marker.
- Hood added two more in the final five minutes of the first half. Scarborough found the back of the net at the start of the 41st minute. In the 44th minute, Wiedemann converted a penalty kick to make it 3-0 at the intermission.
- The second half belonged to Merritt, who scored all three goals for the Blazers. Hood was awarded another penalty kick in the 65th minute and the junior scored for a 4-0 lead. She took an assist from Mangle in the 70th minute before Provinzano fed Merritt two minutes later to finish the scoring.
- Hood outshot WAU 35-2.
- Leke Fontava made 18 saves.
- The Blazers are 1-0, while the Shock dropped to 0-1.
Hood travels to Goucher on September 1.