FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Mia Savoy and Maggie Tien combined for 37 points but the Widener duo of Erin Phelan and Devan Rimmer teamed up for 51 to defeat the Blazers 78-69 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Savoy finished with 20 points and eight rebounds.
- Tien scored a career-high 17 points on 4 of 11 from 3-point range.
- Deaja Colden and Ebony Pitt each grabbed nine rebounds.
How it Happened
- Hood got off to a slow start, hitting just three field goals in the first quarter, but managed to stay within striking distance and trailed 16-10.
- After Widener stretched the lead to 24-13 midway through the third, the Blazers scored 10 straight points. Savoy hit two 3-pointers during the run and Pitt scored twice as Hood pulled within 24-23 with 5:08 left in the half. The Pride expanded the lead to as many as 12 during the remainder of the quarter before a basket by Morgan Anderson made it 40-30 at halftime.
- In the fourth quarter, a pair of technical fouls against Widener helped the Blazers pull within 56-52 after a foul shot by Laura Vetter with 6:11 left in the contest. Widener followed with a 12-3 run that made it 67-55 two minutes later that put the game out of reach.
- Phelan scored 27 points and led all players with 11 rebounds. She went 8 of 18 shooting and she was a perfect 11 of 11 at the free throw line.
- Rimmer scored 24 points on 3 of 5 from 3-point range.
- Madison Ireland had 10 rebounds and eight assists.
Hood travels to Lancaster Bible College on December 12 for a 6 p.m. tip-off.