FREDERICK, Md. - Leading 35-34 with four minutes, 25 seconds to play, the Hood College women's basketball team went on a 12-5 run to defeat Alvernia 47-39 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Ebony Pitt filled up the box score with 10 points, nine rebounds, five assists and six steals. The sophomore guard went 5 of 10 from the field.
- Denisha Robinson matched Pitt with 10 points and added three steals.
- Mia Savoy grabbed 12 rebounds, her second straight game with double-figure boards.
How it Happened
- Hood opened the game with a 14-4 run capped by a Laura Vetter 3-pointer with 1:16 left in the first. After three points by Maya Cooper for the Golden Wolves, a pair of free throws by Celestria Hill with seven-tenths of a second left made it 16-7 at the end of the quarter.
- Both teams went ice cold in the second quarter, combining for just two field goals as Hood led 18-10 at the half.
- The Blazers opened the third period with a 10-4 run and led 28-14 after a putback by Pitt with 5:49 left in the quarter. A 3-pointer by Abbie Zerbe started an 11-0 run to end the period that included seven points by Cooper, cutting the lead to 28-25.
- Hood's lead fluctuated between two and five points before a jumper by Julia Ewen chipped the Blazers' lead to one, 35-34, with 4:25 to play. Robinson made a layup, then assisted on a 3-pointer by Vetter to make it 40-34 with 2:46 remaining. After a pair of Ewen free throws, Robinson hit a 3-pointer and then a layup for a 46-36 edge with 1:02 to go.
- Cooper finished with 15 points for Alvernia. Torie Zerbe had 13 rebounds and Ewen hauled in 11. Abbie Zerbe notched five steals.
- Hood won the rebounding battle 48-43.
The Blazers host Lebanon Valley on Saturday, January 27 at 1 p.m.