FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball dropped both ends of a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader to first-place Alvernia 14-1 in five innings and 9-1.
Inside the Box Scores
- Cailyn Barthlow had three hits in six at-bats between the two games.
- Maddie Walter and Jules Baker had two hits apiece. Baker doubled and walked twice.
- Walter and Kiley Banks each pitched complete games. Walter allowed three earned runs in the second game.
Alvernia 14, Hood 1 (5 innings)
- Riley Shields homered twice and pitched a complete game to lead Alvernia to the win.
- The Golden Wolves used a Sarah Bystrycki double to knock in a run in the top of the first but the Blazers leveled the score in the bottom of the inning. Baker walked and Barthlow singled to start the inning. Katelyn Long bunted the runners over and Jordan Specht followed with a sacrifice fly.
- Bystrycki came through again in the second inning for Alvernia with a two-run single as the Golden Wolves made it 5-1 after two innings. Shields homered in the third and two more runs scored in the fourth to give Alvernia an 8-1 advantage.
- Alvernia added three more runs in the fifth before Shields hit a three-run home run to push the score to 14-1.
- Shields pitched a three-hitter and went 3 for 4 with five runs batted in at the plate.
- Bystrycki went 4 for 4 with three RBIs.
- Banks took the loss.
Alvernia 9, Hood 1
- The Golden Wolves scored five times in the top of the seventh to pull away.
- Alvernia scored once in the second before a base hit by Shields made it 2-0 in the second.
- Alyssa Acker drove in two more runs in the fifth to push the lead to four runs before Hood answered.
- Baker led off the bottom of the inning with a double to center field and scored on a single by Barthlow.
- In the seventh, four different players had RBI doubles, including a two-run, two-base hit by Sarah Reinert.
- Baker and Barthlow had two hits apiece and Baker added a walk.
- Walter singled and walked at the plate and pitched a complete game in the loss.
- Acker and Reinert each had three hits for the Golden Wolves. Acker drove in three.
- Ally Decker pitched around 10 hits to allow just one run in the game.
Hood hosts Frostburg St. on April 9.