PLANT CITY, Fla. - The Hood College softball team fell 7-6 to Simmons and 5-3 against Heidelberg on the Blazers' spring break trip to Florida.
Inside the Box Scores
- Cailyn Barthlow went a combined 3 for 6 with two doubles and three runs batted in.
- Jules Baker was 4 for 8 with a double.
Simmons 7, Hood 6
- The Blazers scored twice in the bottom of the seventh but stranded the tying run at second as the Sharks held on for the win.
- Baker and Barthlow had three hits apiece, while Barthlow doubled twice. Specht had two hits.
- After Simmons scored twice in the top of the inning to make it 7-4, Jordan Specht had a two-out double to start the rally. Kaitlin Barron drove her home with a single and then scored herself on a double by Barthlow. Maddie Castigliego was able to force a flyout on the next play to avoid extra innings.
- Hood started the scoring in the first inning on an RBI double by Jasmine Webster that drove in Baker for a 1-0 edge.
- Both teams produced three-run fourth innings. All of the Sharks' runs came on a home run by Castigliego.
- Barthlow drove in a run in the bottom of the inning to cut the deficit to 3-2 before back-to-back RBI singles by Brandi Davidson and Jules Baker gave Hood a one-run lead.
- A two-run home run in the top of the fifth by Lauren Del Vacchio gave Simmons a 5-4 edge.
- Maddie Walter took the complete game loss. She allowed four earned runs on 11 hits and a walk, striking out seven.
- Castigliego allowed six earned runs in seven innings for the win. She struck out two, walked one and gave up 12 hits.
- Del Vacchio, Ivy Vann, Christie Bott, Shanon McMahon and Alex Morang each had two hits for Simmons.
Heidelberg 5, Hood 3
- A four-run Heidelberg sixth inning gave erased a 3-1 Hood lead proved to be the difference in a 5-3 final.
- Seven different players had one hit for Hood. Maddy Collins doubled and walked, while Baker also doubled.
- The Blazers scored all three of their runs in the fourth. Barthlow had an RBI double to tie the score at 1-1. After Hood took the lead on an error, Collins had an RBI double to drive in Davidson for a 3-1 lead.
- Joanna Catalano had a game-tying double in the sixth and run-scoring singles by Kat Brady and Shelby Miller gave the Student Princes the lead.
- Madeline McBride allowed one run on four hits and three walks in four innings. Kiley Banks took the loss in relief. She allowed three earned runs on six hits.
- Stephanie Drapp pitched six innings for the win. She allowed one earned run on seven hits. Grace Fillinger picked up the save.
- Catalano, Raye Hammond and Casey Moore each had two hits for Heidelberg.
Hood, 2-2, wraps up spring break with games against Illinois College and St. Benedict on Friday, March 8.