FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College softball team came away with a split in its final doubleheader of the regular season. The Blazers took game one by a score of 6-2 but fell in the second 4-3.
Kristy Erfurdt had a four-hit day for the Blazers with an RBI. Katelyn Long went 3 for 6 over the span of both games with four RBIs. Sophia Leaman and Jasmine Webster added three hits apiece. Leaman picked up the win for Hood on the mound in game one.
- A single by Long in the bottom of the sixth brought across two insurance runs to put Hood's lead out of reach.
- Webster singled to center to kick off the scoring in bottom half of the first, scoring Kristen Scott to give the Blazers an early 1-0 lead.
- Megan Colline tallied an RBI single for the Cardinals in the top of the third to even things up.
- A sacrifice fly by Long in the bottom half of the inning pushed Hood back up 2-1.
- Two RBI singles, one by Leaman and one by Webster, gave the Blazers a 4-1 advantage in the last half of the fourth inning.
- Makayla Czan was able to score on a fielding error in the top of the fifth to inch Catholic closer but they could not complete the comeback.
- Leaman went 3 for 3 with two runs, a walk, and an RBI while Webster went 3 for 4 with two RBIs.
- Long went 2 for 3 with three RBIs.
- Kayli Paugh pitched the first three innings, surrendering four hits and striking out one. Leaman pitched the final four innings allowing four hits while striking out five on her way to the win.
- Kelly Lynch took the loss for the Cardinals pitching four innings and giving up seven hits and adding a strikeout. Allie Lajeunesse came in for the final two innings allowing five hits.
- Czan went 3 for 4 and Colline added two hits and an RBI.
- An RBI single by Colline in the top of the seventh scored Hailey Horton to put the Cardinals ahead 4-3 in the final inning.
- Erfurdt opened up the scoring with an RBI single to center in the third to give Hood a 1-0 advantage.
- The next inning Long tacked on another run with an RBI double to expand the Blazer lead.
- Kacie Badolato homered in the top half of the fifth to get Catholic within a run.
- Hood responded in the bottom half of the inning with an RBI double off the bat of Paugh to push the lead back to two, 3-1.
- Catholic added two runs in the first half of the sixth to knot things up heading into the last inning.
- Erfurdt went 3 for 4.
- Claire Sturek took the mound for Catholic allowing three hits while striking out five over three and two-thirds innings. Sabrina Scott pitched the remaining three and a third innings allowing three hits while striking out three and picking up the win.
- Alex Herschman pitched a complete game but took the loss. She allowed eight hits and struck out five.
- Czan had two hits and Badolato homered and added a walk.
Hood travels to Lebanon Valley College to take on Alvernia in the first round of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth playoffs on Friday, May 4.