READING, Pa. - Hood College's Kayli Paugh pitched a complete game shutout in the opener and the Blazers' offense took care of things in game two in a 1-0, 6-2 sweep of Alvernia in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Paugh struck out three and scattered eight hits. She did not walk a batter. Kristy Erfurdt scored three of Hood's six runs in the nightcap, while Paugh, Jasmine Webster and Kaitlin Barron each drove in two runs.
Hood 1, Alvernia 0
- Paugh outdueled the Golden Wolves' Riley Shields, who pitched a three-hitter and struck out nine.
- The Blazers pushed the game's only run home in the third inning. Alex Herschman led off with a single and ended up on third after Kristen Scott was hit by a pitch and Erfurdt reached on an error. Sophia Leaman followed with an infield single to drive in Herschman before Shields struck out the next two hitters to end the threat.
- Hood's only other hit in the game was a fifth-inning single by Caitlin Gosline.
- Sarah Reinert went 3 for 4 for Alvernia.
Hood 6, Alvernia 2
- The Blazers broke open a one-run game with a three-run fifth inning. Leading 2-1, Scott led off the inning with a walk and an Erfurdt single and a walk by Paugh loaded the bases. Webster knocked in a run with a fielder's choice for a 3-1 lead. Erfurdt and Paugh scored on a two-run double from Barron to make it 5-1.
- Alvernia scored in the bottom of the fifth but Webster drove in Erfurdt in the seventh for an insurance run and stretched the lead to 6-2.
- Hood opened the scoring in the third with a two-run double off the bat of Paugh to drive in Gosline and Erfurdt. Reinert executed a squeeze for the Golden Wolves' first run in the bottom of the inning.
- Leaman went the distance and allowed only five hits and did not walk a batter. She struck out five. Scott, Erfurdt and Webster had two hits apiece.
- Nicole August took the loss. She surrendered five runs in 4.1 innings on seven hits and three walks.
- Hood improved to 13-15 overall and 4-6 in the MAC Commonwealth.
- Alvernia dropped to 19-8-1 and 5-7.
Hood hosts Albright on Senior Day on April 21.