WINCHESTER, Va. - Hood College's Kayli Paugh took a no-hitter into the sixth inning at Shenandoah in a 1-0 win in game one of a non-conference softball doubleheader. The win was the 100th career victory for Blazers' head coach Terry Burdette.
Paugh preserved the win in game two with a save during the Blazers' 8-6 victory. Paugh had three total hits during the doubleheader. Kristen Scott also finished with three hits on the day. Kristy Erfurdt doubled twice.
Hood 1, Shenandoah 0
- Paugh outdueled the Hornets' Katherine Seidl to give Hood the edge.
- After allowing a leadoff walk to Allie Schey, Paugh sat down the next 15 batters in order. Carly Shaw led off the sixth with a single to break up the no-hit bid and an error allowed Sammy Amateau to reach with one out. Paugh retired the final five batters, including three pinch hitters, to finish the game.
- She struck out three.
- Hood scored what proved to be the only run of the game in the second inning. Jasmine Webster led off with a walk and scored on a triple by Kaitlin Barron.
- Kristy Erfurdt doubled in the first inning while Scott, Leaman and Paugh all singled in the game.
- Seidl took the tough loss, surrendering one run on five hits and a walk. She struck out four.
Hood 8, Shenandoah 6
- The Blazers jumped ahead early with eight runs over the first three innings but needed to hold off a late comeback bid from Shenandoah.
- Paugh was called upon in relief with two on and no outs with the tying run on deck in an 8-4 game in the seventh. After the Hornets loaded the bases, Hood got the first out at home on a fielder's choice. Sierra Beaty followed with an infield single and an error allowed a second run to score. Paugh picked up a strikeout for the second out before Morgan Wilk walked to put the winning run on base. Paugh struck out Schey for the final out to notch the save.
- Paugh, Scott and Bridget Smith all had two hits for Hood.
- The Blazers scored four runs in the first on five singles. Paugh and Webster recorded back-to-back RBI singles with one out for a 2-0 lead. Caitlin Gosline drove in the final two runs of the inning with a base hit up the middle for a four-run lead.
- After Smith scored on an error in the second, Erfurdt's RBI double made it 6-0. Hood made it 8-0 in the third on RBI singles from Smith and Scott.
- The Hornets scored once in the fourth and pulled within 8-4 with a three-run fifth. A two-run single by Autumn Beasley followed a passed ball that scored the first run of the fifth.
- Morgan Henley, Beasley, Beaty and Wilk all had two hits for Shenandoah. Wilk and Beasley each stole two bases.
- Sophia Leaman picked up the win, allowing four earned runs in six innings. She struck out four and allowed nine hits and three walks.
- Elizabeth Everette took the loss. She started and was charged with six runs on seven hits in one inning of work. Carrie Robinson allowed two runs in relief.
- Hood improved to 9-9 on the season.
Hood is scheduled to travel to Lebanon Valley on April 5.