TUCSON, Ariz. - A pinch-hit, walk-off single by Katelyn Long gave the Hood College softball team a 3-2 win over Augsburg in the first game of the third day of the Blazers' spring break trip to Arizona. Hood's six-game win streak came to an end in the day's second contest, a 10-2 setback against Buena Vista.
Kristy Erfurdt went 3 for 3 with a homer against the Auggies. Jasmine Webster had four hits, two in each contest, including a pair of doubles. Kayli Paugh pitched a complete game for the win in the opener and added a hit and two bases on balls at the plate against the Beavers.
Hood 3, Augsburg 2
- Long broke a deadlock with an opposite-field pinch single that drove in Kristen Scott for the walk-off win. Scott singled to lead off the inning and was bunted into scoring position by Alex Herschmann.
- Paugh held the Auggies to five hits for the complete-game victory. She struck out five and did not walk a batter. Her only blemishes were solo home runs by Carly Dropik and Morgan Malley.
- Both teams scored single runs in the first and the third innings. Dropik hit a leadoff homer for a 1-0 lead for Augsburg. Erfurdt doubled and scored on a Webster base hit in the bottom of the frame to tie the score.
- Malley's home run in the third gave the Auggies a 2-1 edge. Erfurdt answered with a homer of her own to tie the game in the bottom half of the inning.
- After allowing her second homer of the game, Paugh retired 13 of the final 15 batters she faced.
- Erfurdt was just a triple shy of the cycle while Scott and Webster had two hits apiece.
- Samantha Anderson struck out eight but took the loss for the Auggies. She was 2 for 3 with a double at the plate.
Buena Vista 10, Hood 2
- Hood's six-game win streak came to an end at the hands of the Beavers.
- Webster had two hits and drove in both Hood runs. Long scored twice. Paugh had a hit and walked twice.
- Leaman pitched complete game but took the loss. She added a double to her batting line.
- A two-run home run by Michaela Mason started scoring in the first for Buena Vista. Hood cut the lead in half in the bottom of the first. Long led off the inning with a single and scored on a two-out double from Webster.
- Single runs in the second and third gave the Beavers a 4-1 lead before a three-run fifth broke the game open. Buena Vista added three more in the seventh to take a 10-1 lead.
- The Blazers got one run back in the bottom of the seventh when Webster's two-out single knocked in Long.
- Carlee Guyett had three hits, including a double for the Beavers. Mason doubled, homered and stole two bases. Autumn Boland notched three hits.
- Moriah Guyett pitched a complete game for the win. She struck out three and walked three.
Hood wraps up its trip to Arizona with games against Dickinson and Wisconsin-Lacrosse on Friday, March 16.