Aug 30, 2019
LANGHORNE, Pa. - Hood College had four of the top six finishers to take home the victory at the Cairn Invitational to open the season.
How it Happened
- Only 27 seconds separated the Blazers' top four runners, in the 4,000-meter race.
- Chris Burgenson led the way with a time of 14:07.0 to take third.
- Grayson Whitesell was fourth in this collegiate debut with a time of 14:19.2.
- Levi Davis took fifth in 14:30.2.
- Yoni Weldeberuk ran a time of 14:34.5 for sixth place.
- Frederick Roberts capped the scoring for the Blazers with a time of 16:01.5 to claim 12th.
- Peter Castro (21st, 18:36) joined Whitesell, Davis and Weldeberuk in making their collegiate debuts.
- Hood won the meet with 30 points, 20 points ahead of second-place Cairn.
- Benjamin Hoyer of Penn St.-Abington won the meet with a time of 13:42.7.
- It was the first team victory for the men's program since winning the Hood Invitational in 2010.
From the Coach
- "With the large group of freshmen coming in this year, we had a great opportunity to introduce them to collegiate running. I think they really stepped up and showed a lot of promise as we move forward. I'm excited to keep this solid block training going and see what all we can accomplish as the season continues," Chris Benassi said.
Hood hosts the Blazer Twilight Meet on September 13.