FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College men's soccer team answered the first two goals by No. 14 Messiah but the Falcons broke a 2-2 tie with a pair of late goals to defeat the Blazers 4-2 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Jaylen Poisal had a goal and an assist.
- Ryan Waugh scored a goal and Clay Smith had an assist.
- Isaac Coeto Jr. made 11 saves.
How it Happened
- In the 20th minute, Luke Groothoff took a shot after the ball was crossed to the far post and Chase Ross came up with a team save to preserve the scoreless tie.
- Groothoff ended up scoring the evening's first goal midway through the 30th minute with a strike from outside the box for a 1-0 lead.
- The Blazers responded with a goal less than two minutes before the half ended. Poisal sent a corner to the far post and Waugh headed it into the net in the 44th minute.
- The tie stood until the 61st minute, when Lucas Kokolios scored off an assist from Trevor Goodling.
- Hood answered less than a minute later. Smith took a shot that was saved by Nate Flanders but Poisal came crashing in behind to clean up the rebound to make it 2-2 in the 62nd minute.
- Matt McDonald found the back of the net in the 76th minute for what proved to be the game-winner. Grant Johnson took an assist from Groothoff to put the match out of reach in the 85th minute.
- Flanders made one save for Messiah.
- Hood falls to 9-6-2 overall, while the Falcons improved to 12-2-2.
The Blazers host Arcadia on Saturday, October 26.