FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Evan Wang shook a defender for a go-ahead 3-pointer, then stole the ball on St. Vincent's next possession to start an 11-4 run midway through the second half as the men's basketball team erased a second-half deficit to win 76-63.
The win improved the Blazers to 6-0 on the season, their best start since the 2016-17 season.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Riley stayed hot with a 26-point effort to lead all scorers. He knocked down 7-of-13 field goals, including 4-of-8 from 3-point range.
- Christopher Smalls scored a career-high 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting and connected on both of his 3-point attempts. He matched Tyler Evans for game-high honors with nine rebounds as the Blazers held a 46-27 edge on the glass.
- Evan Wang had a solid all-around performance with nine points, six rebounds, eight assists and two steals.
- Mason Wang scored 10 points.
How it Happened
- A 3-point play by Evan Wang tied the game at 45-45 with 14:39 left in the game, but a David Stephen jumper quickly reclaimed the lead for the Bearcats a minute later. On the Blazers' next possession, Wang faked a defender to the ground and knocked down a 3-pointer for a 48-47 lead at 13:24. When St. Vincent brought the ball up, Wang stripped it away, dove to the floor and scooped it ahead to Mason Wang to extend the lead to three.
- Josh Duda connected from 3-point range later to cut Hood's lead to 56-55 with 8:12 to go before a pair of free throws by Keith Claiborne Jr. started a 16-2 run over the next seven minutes. Hood turned up the defense and held the Bearcats to 1-for-8 shooting with four turnovers during the run.
- In the first half, Hood took an 18-13 lead before Duda scored five straight points to tie the game with 10:42 to go in the half. The Bearcats led by nine, 34-25, with 2:24 left in the half before Riley and Smalls hit 3-pointers to pull the Blazers within three. A pair of free throws by Smalls tied the game with 15 seconds left in the period but Andrew Reed beat the buzzer to make it 36-34 at halftime.
- Stephen led the Bearcats with 21 and Duda hit 5-of-8 3-pointers to end the day with 17.
- St. Vincent managed to stay in the game with a 12-of-28 effort from behind the arc (43 percent). The Blazers went 9-of-23 from long range (39 percent).
- Hood went 15-of-18 at the free-throw line (83 percent), while the Bearcats took just two foul shots in the contest.
The Blazers host Delaware Valley on November 26 at 4 p.m.