Mar 01, 2019
FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Mason Wang scored more points than any Blazer in 11 years but Grove City escaped BB&T Arena with a 96-92 win in the quarterfinals of the ECAC Tournament.
Inside the Box Score
- Wang poured in 41 points, the most since Ryan Junghans scored a school record 47 in February 2008. He joins Junghans and Santo Provenzano as the only players in school history with a 40-point game. The sophomore knocked down 12 of 22 field goals and went 5 of 8 from 3-point range. Wang also sank 12 of 14 free throws and had four assists in the contest.
- Jared Ruiz had 18 points off the bench in the final game of his career. He hit 4 of 7 3-pointers and led Hood with eight rebounds. Classmate Ian Eversull finished with eight points.
- Evan Wang scored 10 points to go along with six assists and four steals.
- The Blazers went 15 of 35 (43 percent) from 3-point range.
How it Happened
- With the score tied a 33-33 with 7:07 to go in the first half, a field goal by Nicholas Woods, an Eversull 3-pointer and a bucket by Keith Claiborne Jr. made it 40-33 two minutes later.
- The Wolverines closed the half with a 13-5 run and went into the locker room with a 46-45 lead after a Garrett Clark free throw with one second left in the period.
- Mason Wang scored the first two points of the second half to reclaim the lead. After three lead changes in the opening minutes of the second half, Grove City went on a 19-6 run to take a 67-54 lead with 13:40 to play in the game.
- Hood, who trailed by as many as 16, mounted several comeback bids. Wang scored nine straight points followed by a 3-pointer by Ruiz to pull the Blazers within 83-79 with 6:23 to go. After the Wolverines stretched the lead back to nine points 88-79, Hood began to chip away at the deficit again and got within a bucket after an Evan Wang layup made it 94-92 with eight seconds left. The Blazers were forced to foul and Joe Meola iced the game with two free throws.
- Grove City shot 55 percent in the game, including 12 of 26 from 3-point range.
- James Wells scored 27 points on 13 of 19 shooting and had seven rebounds and seven blocks. Isaac Williams hit seven 3-pointers to finish with 26 points. Erik Meiners scored 15 points off the bench.
- Hood finishes the season 17-10 overall. Grove City will advance to the ECAC Semifinals on Saturday, March 2 at 3 p.m. against Rutgers-Newark.