ANNVILLE, Pa. - The Hood College men's basketball team earned the second seed in the upcoming Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth Tournament and will host third-seeded Widener on Thursday, February 21 at 7 p.m. in BB&T Arena.
Tip-off is been set for 7 p.m. Admission is charged for all MAC postseason contests. Hood College students will be admitted free of charge, compliments of Dr. Chapdelaine. All Blazer fans are encouraged to wear blue to the game.
- Adults - $6
- Senior Citizens - $4
- Hood students - Free (compliments of Dr. Chapdelaine)
- Students (valid ID) & Children - $2
- Pre-school (under 6) with Adult - Free
- T-shirts will be on sale at the game for $15 while supplies last.
- The Blazers earned the two-seed on the final day of the regular season with a win over top-seeded Arcadia coupled against a Lycoming win over Widener.
- Hood's 17-8 mark on the season is buoyed by a 10-2 record at BB&T Arena. One of the Blazers' two home losses, however, was against Widener in December.
- Mason Wang leads three Hood players in double-figure scoring at 17.4 points per game. Michael Riley scores 13.6 ppg and Evan Wang adds 11.8.
- The Blazers lead the MAC Commonwealth in scoring offense at 82.0 ppg and turnover margin at 5.08.
- Mason Wang ranks fifth in the conference in scoring, eighth in 3-point field goal percentage (37.7), fifth in 3-point field goals per game (2.2), fourth in free throw percentage (80.6), second in assist/turnover ratio (1.9) and second in steals (2.0).
- Riley is fifth in the league in 3-point field goal percentage (39.9) but has made at least 20 more 3-pointers than any player ahead of him. He leads the MAC Commonwealth at 2.8 3-point field goals per game and is second in free throw percentage (83.3) and seventh in steals (1.5).
- Evan Wang leads the team in assists, ranking seventh in the conference (3.7). He ranks in the top 10 in the MAC Commonwealth in assist/turnover ratio (third, 1.8), field goal percentage (sixth, 50.7) and steals (fifth, 1.6).
- Widener will be without Tyler Drews, their leading scorer before suffering an injury on December 19.
- Even without Drews, the Pride have gone 5-2 on the road in his absence.
- Connor Laverty leads the team in scoring at 13.5 ppg.
- Elijah Boyd is second at 11.6 ppg and Jared Peters pitches in at 11.6.
- Ryan McMahon does a little bit of everything for Widener. He is the team's leading rebounder at 5.2 per game and ranks among the conference leaders at 4.3 assists per game.
- The Pride lead the MAC Commonwealth in 3-point percentage at 36.0, just a tenth of a point ahead of Hood.
- Widener is 14-11 overall.
- The Pride swept the season series 2-0 from the Blazers.
HOOD'S PLAYOFF HISTORY
- This is the Blazers' first trip to the conference postseason under fourth-year head coach Chad Dickman.
- Hood's last trip to the MAC Commonwealth Semifinals came in 2015 with a 68-53 loss at Stevenson.
- The Blazers are 1-2 all-time in the MAC Commonwealth Tournament since joining the league in 2012-13.
- Hood last hosted a conference semifinal in 2007 as a member of the Capital Athletic Conference. The Blazers defeated St. Mary's (Md.) 92-76 behind huge efforts by Jesse Gutekunst (29 points, 22 rebounds) and Ryan Junghans (31 points). Hood fell to Catholic in the CAC Championship but earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.