FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College men's basketball team notched a 91-81 win over first place Arcadia to secure the No. 2 seed in the upcoming Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth Tournament.
The victory, coupled with a loss by Widener means that the Blazers will host the Pride on Wednesday, February 20 at 7 p.m.
Inside the Box Score
- Hood seniors Ian Eversull and Jared Ruiz were honored before the game and combined for 34 points. Eversull tied his career-high with 21 points, fueled by a 13 of 14 performance at the free throw line. He added a career-high 12 rebounds for his first career double-double. Ruiz added 13 points on 4 of 8 shooting.
- Eversull led a group of three Blazers with at least 20 points. Mason Wang connected on 7 of 11 3-point field goals on his way to a game-high 25 points. Michael Riley hit 5 of 8 3-pointers and finished with a double-double of 22 points and 10 rebounds.
- Evan Wang had eight assists as Hood shot 52 percent from the field and knocked down 14 of 31 3-pointers. Moreover, Hood set a school record by hitting 95 percent from the free throw line (19 of 20).
How it Happened
- Hood fell behind early 7-2 before using an 11-4 run to take a 13-11 lead on a 3-pointer by Mason Wang with 14:16 to go in the half. It was the first of six lead changes over the next four minutes before Arcadia used a 12-5 run to take a 28-22 lead with 6:16 to go in the half.
- The Blazers battled back to take a 34-33 lead with 2:46 left in the half when Eversull hit a pair of free throws. There were three more lead changes over the final minutes of the half before Arcadia went into the locker room with a 43-42 lead.
- Hood knocked down 8 of 16 3-point field goals in the second half to take control of the game. The Blazers led for much of the half before Arcadia tied the game at 61-61 on two Josh Scott free throws with 11:05 remaining. One minute later, Eversull hit a pair from the line to start a 12-3 as Hood went head 73-64 with 7:10 on the clock. The Blazers' lead was never fewer than six the rest of the way.
- Three players scored in double digits for Arcadia. Scott led the team with 19 on 5 of 8 shooting. Da'Kquan Davis had 18 points and Phil Pierfy pitched in with 12 points and three steals. Scott and Davis had five assists each.
- Arcadia's bench held an 18-4 advantage in scoring.
- The win improved Hood to 17-8 overall and 11-5 in the MAC Commonwealth. The Knights slipped to 20-5 and 14-2.
Second-seeded Hood hosts No. 3 seed Widener on Wednesday, February 20 at 7 p.m.