BALTIMORE - The Hood College men's basketball team trailed by just three points, 50-47, with 13:29 left in the game before Division I UMBC pulled away late for an 86-65 victory.
The game was an exempted contest that counted only towards UMBC's record and statistics.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Riley led all players with 21 points. He went 5 of 13 from 3-point range.
- Mason Wang had 14 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals.
How it Happened
- The Blazers trailed 50-36 before an 11-0 run, capped by a Wang 3-pointer, cut the deficit to three. The teams traded baskets and a 3-pointer by Riley made it 55-50 just over a minute later.
- The Retrievers' Brandon Horvath scored the final six points of a 13-2 run that followed and gave UMBC a 68-52 advantage with 6:40 left in the game. From there, Hood was unable to get closer than 14.
- The Blazers kept pace with their Division I foe out of the gate. After UMBC scored the game's first six points, Hood used a 14-3 run to take the lead. Riley hit his first two 3-pointers of the game during the run, including one that made it 14-9 less than five minutes into the action that forced the Retrievers to call timeout.
- A jumper by Wang with 14:03 remaining in the half gave the Blazers their biggest lead of the day, 16-10.
- After UMBC tied the game at 16-16, the sides traded scores over the ensuing three minutes. Anthony Pearson scored to make it 18-16 only for a 3-pointer for Horvath to reclaim the lead for the Retrievers. Ian Eversull's layup with was followed by another bucket by Horvath to make it 21-20 at the 10:11 mark. Riley scored the Blazers' next five points as Hood led 25-24 with 8:59 left.
- Ricky Council hit a 3-pointer 39 seconds later to give the Retrievers the lead, starting a 10-0 run that resulted in a 34-25 lead with 5:48 left in the half. Hood got within six before the Retrievers built a 45-32 lead at the half.
- Horvath came off the bench to lead UMBC with 19 points, while Joe Sherburne added 15.
- UMBC held a 23-12 rebounding edge at halftime, but Hood outrebounded the Retrievers in the second half to cut their margin to 42-32.
- The Blazer' 3-point shooting went cold down the stretch with Hood connecting on only 3 of 13 in the second half to finish 9 of 31 in the game.
Hood travels to another Division I opponent, Robert Morris, for a regular season, non-exempt contest on December 29.