YORK, Pa. - Hood College scored three runs in the first inning but Widener found its offense late and defeated the Blazers 11-3 in game one of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth Baseball Championships at PeoplesBank Park.
With the loss, Hood plays in an elimination game on Friday, May 3 at 3 p.m.
Inside the Box Score
- Brad Sawyer went 3 for 5.
- Dylan Beck had a two-run double.
- Nate Luscombe took the loss. He was charged with four runs in 5.2 innings of work.
How it Happened
- The Blazers scored all three of their runs in the first inning. Nathan Kessler led off the inning with a double, followed by a Sawyer single. Beck drove in both runners with a double for a two-run lead. Beck advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a base-hit by Jordan Patterson.
- Luscombe retired 12 of the 14 batters he faced in the second through fifth innings before running into trouble in the sixth.
- A two-run double by Stephen DeBellis and a two-run single by Brandon Reis in the sixth gave the Pride the lead. Reis scored before the inning was over for a two-run lead. Widener pulled away with a total of six runs over the next three innings.
- Nick D'Allesandro and Greg Elfreth had three hits apiece for Widener.
- Reis had two hits and knocked in three. DeBellis drove in three runs.
- Kade Jones got the win with three runs allowed over 7.1 innngs, striking out five.
Hood faces the loser of the Arcadia/Alvernia game on May 3 at 3 p.m.