FREDERICK, Md. - For the second straight Saturday, the Hood College baseball team blanked its Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth foe, defeating Albright 4-0 and 6-0 to clinch a spot in the upcoming conference tournament.
Inside the Box Scores
- Jordan Patterson tossed a two-hit shutout in the second game, walking four and striking out two. In game one, he went 2 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Brad Sawyer and Ryan D'Allesandro combined on a five-hit shutout in the opener. Sawyer went six innings, striking out four, walking two and allowing five hits. D'Allesandro completed a perfect seventh inning in relief. Sawyer started game two at first base and went 2 for 3 with a double and triple.
- Sam Wheeler went a perfect 3 for 3 in game two with two runs batted in.
- Dylan Beck went 3 for 6 between the two games.
Hood 4, Albright 0
- The Blazers scored twice in the first and two more again in the sixth inning to give Sawyer and D'Allesandro more than enough run support.
- In the first, four straight singles by Trent Copenhaver, Beck, Joe Kroeger and Patterson preceded a sacrifice fly by Andrew Wenner to make it 2-0.
- Patterson had an RBI double in the sixth and scored on a base hit by Wenner for a four-run lead.
- Sawyer worked out of several jams, forcing a double play in the fourth and picked a runner off in the sixth.
- Beck and Patterson had two hits apiece, while Wenner drove in a pair.
Hood 6, Albright
- Patterson allowed singles in the fourth and seventh innings to throw his second straight shutout.
- Sawyer led off the second inning with a triple and scored on a groundout by Wenner.
- In the third, Joe Kroeger ripped a two-run triple to knock in Beck and Nathan Kessler for a 3-0 lead.
- Wheeler had run-scoring hits in the fourth and sixth innings and Daniel Shepherd made it a two-run inning in the sixth with his RBI base hit.
- With the wins, Hood moved into first place in the conference standings at 14-4, clinching a playoff spot in the process. The Blazers are a game ahead of Arcadia and Alvernia, who are tied for second and also clinched playoff bids.
- The Blazers are 23-9-1 overall, while Albright slipped to 10-21, including 5-13 in the MAC Commonwealth.
Hood travels to Juniata for a non-conference contest on April 24.