Apr 13, 2019
Inside the Box Scores
- Both pitchers pitched four-hit shutouts. Luscombe struck out two and walked one, needing just 76 pitches to complete seven innings. In game two, Patterson punched out six and walked a pair.
- Andrew Wenner had two hits on the day and drove in two runs.
- Dylan Beck drove in one of Hood's runs in the second game and scored the other.
- Nathan Kessler had two hits, walked and was hit by a pitch.
Hood 1, Arcadia 0
- Hood scored the only run of the day in the fourth inning. Patterson led off with a walk and moved to third on a single by Brad Sawyer. Wenner followed with a sacrifice fly to right field to bring home Patterson for the 1-0 lead.
- Luscombe allowed just six base runners and only one reached second base in the game. Matt Ernst led off the sixth with a single and moved up to second on a wild pitch. Bryan Gillen hit a ground ball to shortstop Trent Copenhaver on the next play and he threw to third. Patterson chased Ernst back towards second and tagged him for the first out.
- It was the senior's first shutout of the year and third of his career. The senior forced a 463 double play in the third and a 543 double play in the fifth inning.
- Copenhaver walked twice.
- Sawyer singled and walked.
- Ernst had two of the Knights' four hits.
- Tyler Showers took the loss. He allowed one run on three hits in four innings, walking five.
- Owen Margolis pitched two scoreless innings of relief.
Hood 2, Arcadia 0
- The Blazers scored once in the first and again in the third, which was more than enough for Patterson.
- Kessler led off the first with a double and was sacrificed to third by Copenhaver. Beck singled through the left side to bring home the first run of the game.
- Arcadia had a chance to tie the game in the third. Trevor Mattson walked to lead off the inning and Nick Ponente followed with a single. With one out, Bryan Gillen hit a flyball to right field. Mattson tried to tag up but Derek Wyld gunned him down at home plate for the double play.
- Beck and Sawyer led off the third with back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners. Wenner hit into a fielder's choice, allowing Beck to score for a 2-0 lead.
- Patterson got the Knights to hit into double plays in the sixth and seventh innings to seal the win, his fifth of the year.
- Kessler, Beck and Wyld all had two hits. Kessler reached base a third time via a base on balls.
- With 14 scoreless innings, Hood held the Knights scoreless over the final 17 innings of the series.
- The Blazers improved to 20-9-1 overall and 11-4 in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth. Arcadia finished the day 17-12 and 10-5.
- The game one win was the 51st for Hood College head coach Michael Impellittiere, passing Cory Beddick for the most in school history.
Hood is scheduled to host Frostburg State on Wednesday, April 17.