FREDERICK, Md. - For the second straight game, the Hood College baseball team ran out of daylight, this time with the Blazers tied with MAC Commonwealth foe Alvernia 7-7 after nine innings. According to MAC regulations, the game will be played to completion prior to the doubleheader between the two teams on March 30.
Inside the Box Score
- Brad Sawyer went 3 for 5 with an RBI.
- Dylan Beck and Derek Wyld each had two hits. Beck added two RBIs and three stolen bases.
- Andrew Wenner drove in three runs, scored two, and swiped two bags.
- Joe Kroeger drew three walks.
- Nate Luscombe started on the mound and went six innings, allowing four earned runs on seven hits, walking two, and striking out three. Des Grimes, Jake Howell, and Jordan Patterson provided one inning of relief apiece over the final three innings and combined to allow two hits.
How it Happened
- Hood led 7-6 heading into the ninth. After a single by Nathan Sides tied the game, Alvernia had the bases loaded with no outs before Patterson was switched from shortstop to pitcher. He went on to retire the next three batters to get Hood out of the jam.
- Kyle Gaynor pitched around trouble in the bottom of the ninth for Alvernia, stranding a runner in scoring position before the game was stopped.
- The Blazers opened up the scoring in the bottom of the second with two runs capped off by a single to center by Beck that scored Wenner.
- Alvernia responded in the next two innings with a two run single by Franco Esposito and an RBI single by Ian Shaffer to take a 4-2 lead.
- Daniel Shepherd knocked in Wenner with a base hit to right field to cut the deficit in the bottom part of the fourth.
- Esposito provided another RBI single in the fifth to stretch the Alvernia lead back to two.
- The Blazers were able to add two runs in the fifth, including another single from Beck that scored Patterson to tie the game 5-5.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Hood took the lead on a single by Sawyer.
- The Golden Wolves were about to push across a run in the seventh but Hood responded later in the inning with a shot to center by Wenner that brought Wyld in to score to put the Blazers back ahead, this time 7-6.
- Mike Cirilli had three hits for Alvernia
- Franco Esposito had two hits and three RBIs.
- Zack Landy started on the mound and went two and two-thirds innings. He allowed one run on four hits, walked two, and had a strikeout. Four pitchers provided relief until the eighth inning and combined to allow five runs on six hits, six walks, and had two strikeouts. Christian
- Burrus and Gaynor split the last two innings of relief and each recorded a strikeout and allowed no hits.
The game will pick up at the point it was halted with Hood playing as the home team in Reading, Pa. and the Golden Wolves batting in the top of the 10th inning. Following the completion of the first game, the two teams will play both games of their regularly scheduled doubleheader.