FORT PIERCE, Fla. - Hood College's 21-game win streak against teams outside of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth came to an end in a 5-4 extra-inning loss to Eastern Nazarene. The Blazers jumped back into the win column in the second game of the doubleheader 3-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Andrew Wenner went a combined 4 for 5 during the two games and stole four bases.
- Brad Sawyer recorded four hits in six at-bats, including a double. Both he and Wenner had three-hit games in the opener.
- Ryan D'Allesandro tossed his first career complete game in the nightcap. He struck out a career-high seven and allowed just two runs on six hits and no walks.
- Trent Copenhaver was 2 for 4 with a walk, a steal and two sacrifices.
Eastern Nazarene 5, Hood 4 (9 innings)
- An RBI triple by Connor Simpson in the bottom of the ninth inning gave the Lions the win over the Blazers.
- The loss was the first for the Blazers outside the conference since falling to Marymount (Va.) in the final game of the 2017 season.
- Hood had taken a 4-3 lead in the sixth inning. Wenner singled home Sawyer and scored himself on a base hit by Copenhaver. Eastern Nazarene tied the game up when Joshua Bombard doubled and scored on a Matthew Urena single in the bottom of the inning.
- The Lions had taken an early 2-0 lead in the first when Anthony Esposito had an RBI triple and later scored.
- Hood tied the game with single runs in the second and third innings. Dylan Beck's run-scoring double knocked in Sawyer in the second and Nathan Kessler drove home the tying run in the third.
- Eastern Nazarene reclaimed the lead in the fifth when Simpson came home on a base hit by Steven Pesce.
- Chris Devine was the first of five Hood pitchers. He went 4.1 innings and allowed three runs on six hits, striking out six. Jordan Patterson pitched the eighth and ninth to take the loss. He was credited with one inning and struck out three.
- Pesce had three hits for the Lions.
- Morgan Weast started and went 5.2 innings for ENU, allowing three earned runs on nine hits. Ryan Spina picked up the win, pitching around two walks in the top of the ninth.
Hood 3, Eastern Nazarene 2
- D'Allesandro turned a stellar performance, allowing the Blazers to rest the bullpen and earn the split. The sophomore righty didn't allow a hit or a walk until the fourth inning with the only runner reaching on an error.
- Hood scored in the third when Copenhaver singled and scored on a base hit by Joe Kroeger.
- The Lions tied it up in the top of the fourth with a Bombard RBI single but the Blazers quickly reclaimed the lead. In the bottom of the inning, Beck reached on an error and scored on a triple by Tanner Kohler. Copenhaver squeezed Kohler home to make it 3-1 after four innings.
- Bombard drove in another run in the sixth, but D'Allesandro struck out the next batter to strand runners on the corners.
- Sawyer and Wenner both reached via a hit and walk in the game.
- Ben Petersen took the loss. He allowed three runs, one earned, over four innings. Tommy Merrick pitched the final two frames for the Lions.
Hood, 5-1 this year, plays a single game against Monmouth (Ill.) on Thursday, March 7 at 2 p.m. in Fort Pierce, Florida.