YORK, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team dropped its first-round game in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth Championships to Arcadia at PeoplesBank Park in York, Pa.
With the loss, the Blazers will play top-seeded Alvernia in an elimination game at 3 p.m. on Friday, May 4.
Inside the Box Score
- Alex Staton went 3 for 4 with a double and a stolen base.
- Daniel Shepherd stole two bases.
- Brad Sawyer took the loss. He allowed five runs, two earned in 4.1 innings and struck out three.
How it Happened
- Arcadia built a 4-0 lead in the first, taking advantage of a Hood error, two hit batsmen and a pair of walks.
- The Knights added a run to the lead before the Blazers scored twice in the top of the sixth. Cam Esposito was hit by a pitch to start the inning and Nathan Kessler walked. After a passed ball, RBI groundouts by Shepherd and Dylan Johnson pulled Hood within three.
- Arcadia scored three runs in the bottom of the inning to stretch the Blazers' deficit to 8-2. A two-run single by Bryan Gillen made it 10-2 in the seventh.
- Johnson scored on a wild pitch in the eighth but Phil Pierfy doubled in a pair of runs and later scored himself in the bottom half for a 13-3 advantage.
- In the top of the ninth, Dylan Beck walked and Staton doubled to begin the inning. Trent Copenhaver knocked in a run and a run-scoring single by Esposito made it 13-5.
- Arcadia's Jake Lloyd got the win and went eight innings.
- Pierfy drove in three for the Knights and Drew Coisson had three hits.
- Alvernia lost to Widener in the day's first game 17-4.