FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Nate Luscombe was outdueled by No. 28/RV Alvernia's Thomas Malik 1-0 in the opener before the offenses combined for 18 runs in the nightcap of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader between the two teams. The Golden Wolves completed the sweep with a 12-6 win in game two.
The losses were just the second and third for Hood all season as the Blazers moved to 18-3 overall and 5-3 in conference play. Alvernia improved to 15-6 and 7-1.
Alvernia 1, Hood 0
- The only run of the game came in the second inning when Matt Briner walked and scored on a triple by Marcus Celiano.
- After the triple, Luscombe cruised, retiring 16 of the final 19 batters he faced.
- In the third, hits by Brad Sawyer and Dylan Beck and a walk by Shepherd loaded the bases with two outs before Malik picked up a strikeout to end the inning.
- Hood had another chance in the seventh when Drake Friend singled and stole second but was stranded by Michael Griffin.
- Malik picked up the win, going 6.2 innings and allowing four hits and two walks. Griffin pitched one out for the save.
- Shepherd walked twice.
- It was the fourth complete game of the year for Luscombe.
Alvernia 12, Hood 6
- The Golden Wolves scored in each of the first three innings to build an early lead before Jake Franke limited Alvernia to one hit over the final four innings.
- Franke allowed just a hit and a walk, striking out four.
- Alvernia made Hood pay for fielding miscues, turning four errors into six unearned runs.
- Franco Esposito had a two-run single to cap a four-run first inning.
- Hood answered with a run in the bottom of the inning when Shepherd and Cam Esposito stole and Esposito came home on a throwing error to make it 4-1.
- Back-to-back doubles by Nathan Sides and Briner stretched the lead back to 6-1 in the second. Two more errors and a wild pitch in the third opened the door for five runs as the Golden Wolves went ahead 11-1.
- Beck drove in Nathan Kessler in the bottom of the inning to make it 11-2.
- Franke entered the game for Hood in the fourth and retired the first seven hitters he faced.
- The Blazers scored in the sixth on an RBI single by Wayne Baldwin that knocked in Alex Staton.
- Ian Shaffer homered in the seventh for the Golden Wolves' final run.
- Hood scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh before Alvernia escaped the inning. Mikaili Robertson singled and Josh Gall walked to start the inning. Nick Meyer brought Robertson home on a double. Staton knocked in Gall for the second run before he and Meyer executed a double steal with Meyer coming home for the final run of the inning.
- Patterson and Staton had two hits apiece.
- Sawyer pitched the first inning and took the loss.
- John Catchmark went four innings and allowed two runs to pick up the win.
- Briner, Franco Esposito and Shaffer each had two hits.
- Alvernia is currently ranked No. 28 in the American Baseball Coaches Association/Collegiate Baseball Top 30. The Golden Wolves are receiving votes in the D3baseball.com/National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Top 25.
- Hood is receiving votes in both polls.
Hood wraps up the season series against Stevenson on Monday, April 2 with a single game at FCC.