UNION, N.J. - The Hood College volleyball team fell 3-0 to Scranton and 3-1 to Kean on the first day of the Cougar Classic at Kean University.
- Scranton: 25-20, 25-16, 25-16
- Kean: 25-16, 25-16, 26-24, 25-14
Inside the Box Scores
- Kari Betson had 19 kills total for the evening, one more than Elena Zinaich. Both players had 10 against the Cougars.
- Payton Belella had 48 assists, including 29 against Kean.
- Renee Reus had 14 digs against the Royals and ended her day with 23 total.
- Courtney Hutchinson tallied five blocks, including three against Scranton.
How it Happened - Scranton
- After both teams hit over .380 in the first set, Scranton turned on the defense to take the match.
- Hood hit .387 in the opening set but had more errors than kills in each of the final two sets.
How it Happened - Kean
- Trailing 2-0, Hood held off defeat with a win in the third set.
- The Blazers led 13-9 before a short run by the Cougars trimmed the lead to 14-13.
- Kean eventually took a 24-23 lead in the set, but a kill by Betson tied the score. After a bad set gave the Blazers the lead, Betson finished things off with a service ace for the 26-24 win.
- Kean regrouped and won the fourth set to take the match.
- Sara Ridgway had a huge match for the Cougars with 16 kills and just one error. She added five blocks.
The Blazers face NYU and Plattsburgh on the final day of the Cougar Classic on September 9.