DOVER, Del. - The Hood College women's lacrosse team led 12-10 with under five minutes to play, but Wesley rallied for a 13-12 win in the season opener for both squads.
Inside the Box Score
- Kara Phoubandith had three goals and an assist to lead the Blazers.
- Rachel Slater, Christina Murphy, Alexis Orzech and Jade Locklear scored two goals apiece.
- Locklear added five draw controls and five caused turnovers. Shay Braithwaite tallied five draw controls.
- Rylie Benoit-Nobis stopped seven shots in goal.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed 5-3 with 11:17 left in the first half, but a goal from Slater, followed by back-to-back scores by Orzech made it 6-5 with 6:31 left in the half. Wesley's Kaitlin Brennan tied the game with a free-position goal at 4:28 and the teams went into halftime tied 6-6.
- The Wolverines scored first and held onto the lead until Samy Brandt took a feed from Braithwaite to tie the score at 10-10 with 15:12 to play. The goal came in the midst of a 5-0 run by the Blazers that erased a 10-7 deficit. Locklear finished the run with a score that made it 12-10 in favor of Hood with 4:50 remaining.
- Back-to-back scores by Fallon Fore tied the game and Naomi Pitts-Reynolds came up with the game-winner with 1:25 to go.
- Paige Brehm led Wesley with three goals and an assist. Forre had five draw controls. Shelby Schirmer stopped a dozen shots in net.
- Hood outshot Wesley 32-27 in the game and won the turnover battle 21-16.
The Blazers head to Southern Virginia on February 25.