FREDERICK, Md. - A late run from the Hood College women's basketball team was not enough as they fell short 55-43 to Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opponent Widener.
Inside the Box Score
- Mia Savoy and Lauren Keeney led Hood with 11 points. Savoy grabbed five rebounds and had three steals. Keeney added two steals.
- Denisha Robinson had 10 points, four steals, and two blocks.
- Ebony Pitt dished out three assists and grabbed four rebounds.
- Amanda Hackney recorded four steals and two assists.
How it Happened
- The Pride came out hot with a 9-2 run that was capped off by an Allison Gallagher jump shot with 8:47 left in the first period.
- The Blazers trailed 18-9 at the end of the first quarter.
- The first bucket of the second quarter was a layup by Celina Herndon at 9:59. The two teams traded points for the majority of the quarter with Widener leading 33-16 at the half.
- To start the second half, Keeney and Robinson combined for a 9-0 run that brought the score to 33-24 with 6:19 left in the quarter. However, a Nikki Petri jump shot sparked a 14-2 run in favor of the Pride with a score of 47-26 at the end of the third quarter.
- A Tamiya Ford layup started a game-ending 17-3 run for the Blazers that cut the final deficit 55-43.
- Petri had 13 points off the bench after going 3 for 5 from three-point range.
- Reserve guard Julia Venturelli dished out six assists.
- Widener outrebounded Hood 50-24.
- Senior Amanda Hackney was honored at half court before the game for her contributions to the Hood College women's basketball program.
Hood hosts Messiah on Tuesday, February 13 at 6 p.m.