FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team dropped both ends of a doubleheader to Shenandoah in the Blazers' home opener, 6-2 and 10-0 in five innings.
Inside the Box Score
- Jordan Specht went 3 for 5 and doubled twice between the two games.
- Kaitlin Barron doubled and drove in a run.
- Maddie Walter pitched a complete game in the opener, striking out four and allowing three earned runs.
- Kiley Banks pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief in game two.
Shenandoah 6, Hood 2
- Two errors by the Blazers in the fourth inning opened the door for five Hornets to cross home plate. Meghan Stout singled in a pair of runs to open the scoring. Sierra Beatty and Allie Schey added RBI singles before the inning was over.
- Shenandoah tacked on another run in the fifth before Hood got onto the scoreboard. Specht doubled in the sixth and scored on a sacrifice fly by Barron for the Blazers' first run. Jules Baker drove in Maddy Collins in the seventh on an RBI groundout to make it 6-2.
- Collins and Specht had two hits apiece.
- Stout, BayLee Jenkins and Sierra Beatty all had two hits for the Hornets.
- Morgan Henley went six innings for the win. She struck out three, walked three and gave up five hits.
Shenandoah 10, Hood 0 (5 innings)
- The Hornets picked up the sweep with a 10-0 win in the second game.
- Carrie Robinson pitched four innings of three-hit softball and helped her cause at the plate, going 3 for 3 with three runs batted in. Maryann Hollen and Jenkins joined her with three hits each.
- Henley and Jenkins had RBI doubles during a five-run first inning as Shenandoah jumped out in front early. Stout had a two-run double in the second as the Hornets stretched the lead to 8-0. Two more runs in the third capped the scoring.
- Hood had runners in scoring position in the second, third and fourth innings but was unable to push any runs home.
The Blazers open Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play against Lebanon Valley at home on March 16.