TUCSON, Ariz. - The Hood College softball team remained perfect during its spring break trip to Arizona and ran its win streak to five games overall with wins over Case Western Reserve and Rochester Institute of Technology. Hood outlasted the Spartans 10-8 in nine innings before claiming a 1-0 win over the Tigers.
The wins improved the Blazers to 6-4 on the season. Hood knocked Case Western from the ranks of the unbeaten as the Spartans fell to 6-1. RIT is 1-6.
Sophia Leaman continued her strong trip, going 4 for 6 at the plate with two doubles and two walks. Against RIT, she drove in the only run of the game and pitched a two-hit shutout.
Hood 10, Case Western Reserve 8 (9 innings)
- The Blazers used a four-run ninth to defeat the Spartans in extra innings.
- Leaman reached base four times, including a double and two walks. Jasmine Webster homered and had two hits. Kristen Scott went 3 for 5 two doubles. Kristy Erfurdt and Kayli Paugh had two hits apiece.
- In the ninth, Erfurdt led off with an RBI that knocked in Caitlin Gosline, who was placed at second via the international tiebreaker rule, for a 7-6 lead. After a single by Paugh and Scott added doubles that brought home three more runs to make it 10-6 before the inning was over. Case Western scored twice and brought the tying run to the plate before Paugh closed the door on the complete game.
- Webster hit a two-run shot in the third inning, driving in Leaman, for a 2-1 lead. The Spartans tied the score in the bottom of the frame on a double by Nicole Carty.
- Gosline added a two-run single followed by Leaman's RBI double for a 5-2 lead in the fourth.
- Case Western took a 6-5 lead in the fifth with a four-run inning. With two runs already in, Katie Wede's two-run double gave the Spartans the edge.
- The Blazers tied the score in the sixth on a single by Paugh that drove in Erfurdt to tie the game.
- Neither team scored again until Hood's game-winning four-run ninth.
- Paugh recorded the win, while Sidney Brannam took the loss.
- Maren Waldner had three hits for Case Western and five other players had two hits apiece.
Hood 1, RIT 0
- Leaman did it all for the Blazers, driving in the game's only run and pitching a complete game shutout.
- She allowed just two hits and two walks, striking out five inside the circle. At the plate, her RBI double in the third knocked in Erfurdt for the game-winner. Leaman went 2 for 3 at the plate.
- The senior out-dueled Lauren Mahar, who took the loss. Mahar allowed four hits and struck out three.
- In the third, Kiley Blanks led off with a single but was erased on a fielder's choice by Erfurdt for the second out. Erfurdt scored all the way from first on Leaman's double for a 1-0 lead.
- Leaman did not allow a hit until there was one out in the fifth inning.
The Blazers continue their spring break trip against Augsburg and Buena Vista on Thursday, March 15.