FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team defeated Alvernia 5-3 and 6-3 to clinch the fifth seed in the upcoming Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth tournament.
Kayli Paugh pitched a complete game victory and homered in the opener to lead the Blazers. In the second game, Hood received a complete game from Sophia Leaman, while Roo Saglimbeni went 2 for 3 with a home run and three RBIs.
Hood 5, Alvernia 3
- Hood came out fast with two runs in the first off Saglimbeni's double, bringing Leaman and Kristy Erfurdt in to score.
- Alvernia scored runs in the second, fourth, and fifth innings to take a 3-2 lead.
- The Blazers responded with a home run to centerfield, bringing Sedgwick and Leaman in to score and taking a 5-3 lead.
- Paugh allowed two runs and struck out three.
Hood 6, Alvernia 3
- Hood struck quickly in the first inning. Leaman doubled to left center. Sedgwick then singled down the left field line to bring Leaman in to score.
- Alvernia tied the game in the third inning 1-1.
- The Blazers rallied in the bottom of the third to bring Katelyn Long and Kristy Erfurdt around the bases. Saglimbeni then homered to center, bringing Paugh and Leaman in to score and taking a 6-1 lead.
- Leaman fanned four and allowed one earned run.
The Blazers compete in the MAC Commonwealth Tournament on May 4-7 in Reading, Pennsylvania.