WESTMINSTER, Md. - Hood College's Kayli Paugh set the Blazers' career home run record with her 18th to spark a win in game one, then picke dup the win in relief in game two in a sweep of McDaniel. Hood took the opener 5-2, then outlasted the Green Terror 2-1 in eight innings in the nightcap.
Paugh broke the record of 17 held by Ashley Fourcade. Kristy Erfurdt also homered in game one for Hood and finished the doubleheader with four RBIs.
The Blazers allowed just one earned run on the day. In the opener, Alex Herschman picked up the win, allowing one earned run in four innings. She scattered three hits and struck out two. Beth Laque notched the save with three innings of one-hit ball.
Game two saw Sophia Leaman continue her run of strong starts. The junior was unscored upon in four innings, surrendering only three hits. Paugh came on in relief and held McDaniel to only two hits in four innings, striking out four.
HOOD 5, McDANIEL 2
- The Green Terror jumped ahead 1-0 in the first, but Hood tied the game in the third when Jasmine Webster came home on a ground ball by Erfurdt.
- A homer by Tayler Hishon put McDaniel back in the lead 2-1, but the Blazers responded to the long ball with two of their own. Erfurdt smacked a two-run shot for the lead in the fifth to make it 3-2. In the seventh, Paugh set the record with a bomb to right for a 5-2 lead.
- Jamie Weisser, the only player for either team with two hits in the game, took the loss for McDaniel.
HOOD 2, McDANIEL 1 (8 INNINGS)
- Neither team scored over the first seven innings before both teams found offense in the eighth.
- With the international tie-breaker in effect, Erfurdt led off the eighth with a double down the line in left to drive in Kristen Scott for a 1-0 lead. After a base hit by Jess Sedgwick, Paugh drove in Erfurdt for a 2-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the inning, Lindsey Miller had a RBI single, but Paugh shut the door before the Green Terror could tie the game.
- Sedgwick and Katelyn Long had two hits apiece for Hood.
- Cassie Rickrode took a complete game loss for McDaniel.
Hood hosts Alvernia on Senior Day on Saturday, April 29.