WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Hood College softball team dropped both ends of a non-conference doubleheader at Catholic 4-1 and 1-0 in eight innings.
Sophia Leaman was excellent in game two but was outdueled by Kelly Lynch. Leaman went the distance and was unblemished until an unearned run scored via the international tiebreaker in the eighth. She allowed just two hits, did not walk a batter and struck out seven.
CATHOLIC 4, HOOD 1
- Hood scored first when Roo Saglimbeni came home on a throwing error in the second for a 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the inning, Catholic scored twice. Marissa Wimmer tied the game with a RBI single and she later scored on a passed ball. Single runs for Catholic in the third and fifth put the game out of reach.
- Doubles by Leaman and Saglimbeni were the only hits for the Blazers against Sabrina Scott.
- Kayli Paugh allowed just three earned runs, effectively pitching around 13 hits by Catholic, but took the loss.
CATHOLIC 1, HOOD 0 (8 INNINGS)
- A throwing error in the bottom of the eighth allowed the game's only run to score, giving the Cardinals the win.
- Jess Sedgwick had two hits for Hood.
- Leaman took the loss despite the strong effort.
- Lynch threw a five-hit shutout for Catholic, fanning seven.
Hood travels to Albright on Saturday, April 22.