GRANTHAM, Pa. - The Hood College softball team outlasted No. 7 Messiah in 10 innings, 2-1, in game one, before the Falcons salvaged a split with a 7-3 win in game two of a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth softball doubleheader.
Kayli Paugh pitched a 10-inning complete game in the opener, the most innings for a Blazer since Jennifer Rutherford threw 10 against Gettysburg in April 2013.
Roo Saglimbeni went 3 for 3 in the opener with two doubles.
HOOD 2, No. 7 MESSIAH 1 (10 INNINGS)
- Saglimbeni drove in Kristen Scott with a single up the middle to break a 1-1 tie, giving the Blazers the win.
- Hood took the lead in the second on a sacrifice fly by Jess Sedgwick for a 1-0 lead, but Erin Cressman leveled the score in the sixth with a solo home run.
- Both teams had chances to end the game before Saglimbeni's hit in the 10th, including the eighth inning when both teams left the bases loaded.
- Paugh scattered seven hits and a walk while striking out three.
- In addition to Saglimbeni's three hits, Erfurdt and Paugh had two hits apiece. Shelby Alcorn and Sophia Leaman each had a hit and walk.
- Cressman was the only player for Messiah with multiple hits. Madelyn Yannetti took the loss in relief. She allowed one run on four hits and walked two in three innings of work.
MESSIAH 7, HOOD 3
- After the two teams traded big innings early, Messiah scored single runs in the third, fourth and fifth to pull away.
- Amber Bingaman had a two-run double in the first inning as the Falcons jumped in front 4-0.
- Hood answered with three runs in the second to get back in the game. Jasmine Webster drove in the first run with a RBI single. Kaitlin Barron knocked the second run and a sacrifice fly from Kristen Scott pulled the Blazers within a run.
- Bingaman drove in a run in the third and Amanda Jones and Shannon Denny did likewise in the fourth and fifth.
- Alcorn and Webster had two hits apiece for Hood.
- Leaman took the loss, allowing six runs in four innings on 11 hits. She struck out four. Alex Herschman gave up one run on three hits over two innings of relief.
- Jones went 4 for 4 for Messiah. McKenzie Tebbs doubled twice.
- Yannetti pitched a complete game for the win, limiting Hood to six hits.
The Blazers travel to Catholic on April 19.