May 03, 2019
CHESTER, Pa. - Hood College's AJ Lewis won the long jump to lead the men's track and field team on the second day of the Middle Atlantic Conference Championships.
- On his final jump of the day, Lewis leaped 6.95 meters (22-9 3/4), just 0.01 meters (a half inch) farther than Eastern's Evan Wildermuth for the victory. Lewis broke his own school record in the event. He also had a personal best in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.16.
- Fred Roberts set the school record in the decathlon with a final score of 5,235 points. On the second day of the multi-event, he had a personal best in both the discus (29.75m) and the javelin (27.95m). Roberts joined Lewis in the long jump and took seventh with a mark of 6.37m (20-10 3/4).
- Zach Crossey ran an ECAC qualifying time in the 800-meter run in 1:59.86 and finished 14th
- Evan Ellington was 13th in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.40, which ranks fourth all-time at Hood. He was 18th in the 200 in 23.26.
- Chris Burgenson turned in a season-best of 10:27.42 for 12th place.
- Hood is in eighth place with 16 points heading into the final day.
- Eastern leads the team scoring with 53 points.
- "I wasn't expecting to come in first this year but I showed up to compete today and it paid off. Next step is to see if we can get a national qualifier at ECACs," said Lewis.
The MAC Championships conclude on May 4.