YORK, Pa. - Hood College's BJ Daisey broke his own record in the 100-yard breaststroke during Saturday morning's preliminaries and was the conference runner up in the finals at the Middle Atlantic Conference Championships at the Graham Aquatics Center.
How it Happened
- Daisey swam a 58.45 in the prelims, shaving four-hundredths of a second off his previous school record during qualifying. In the finals, he turned in a time of 58.66 to take secondplace. Swimming in the consolation final of the 100-yard butterfly, Daisey was 13th overall in 54.40.
- Chris Gardner swam in a pair of championship finals during the evening session. He finished fifth in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 52.72. The senior claimed the same place in the 400 individual medley with his time of 4:17.86.
- Hood's 200-yard freestyle relay of Lucas Mestas-Nunez, Gardner, Zach Miller and Victor Muleki teamed for a time of 1:29.35 to place seventh.
- Hood is in seventh place heading into the final day of competition with 182 points.
- Albright leads the pack with 391 points.
Session six of the MAC Championships begins on Sunday morning at 10 a.m.
All-Middle Atlantic Conference Performances - Thru Session 5
|1||200 Medley Relay||Second Team||Sixth||C. Gardner, BJ Daisey, V. Muleki, L. Mestas-Nunez||1:37.50|
|1||800 Free Relay||Honorable Mention||Seventh||C. Gardner, M. Ball, C. Rogers, L. Mestas-Nunez||7:15.75|
|3||400 Medley Relay||Second Team||Sixth||C. Gardner, BJ Daisey, M. Ball, L. Mestas-Nunez||3:35.50|
|3||500 Free||Honorable Mention||Seventh||C. Rogers||4:47.17|
|3||50 Free||Honorable Mention||Eighth||L. Mestas-Nunez||22.22|
|5||200 Free Relay||Honorable Mention||Seventh||L. Mestas-Nunez, C. Gardner, Z. Miller, V. Muleki||1:29.35|
|5||400 IM||Second Team||Fifth||C. Gardner||4:17.86|
|5||100 Breast||First Team||Second||BJ Daisey||58.66|
|5||100 Back||Second Team||Fifth||C. Gardner||52.72|
School Records Set at 2017 MAC Championships - Thru Session 5
|Session||Event||Competitor(s)||New Record||Old Record|
|2||500 Free (Prelim)||C. Rogers
|4||100 Breast (Prelim)||BJ Daisey||58.45||58.49|
SESSION FOUR RECAP (PRELIMINARIES)
YORK, Pa. - Hood College's BJ Daisey broke his own record in the 100 breaststroke during Saturday morning's preliminaries at the Middle Atlantic Conference Championships at the Graham Aquatics Center.
How it Happened
- Daisey swam a 58.45 in the prelims, shaving four-hundredths of a second off his previous school record during qualifying. In addition to making to the championship final in the 100 breaststroke, he added a 53.79 in the 100 butterfly to qualify for the consolation final.
- Chris Gardner advanced to a pair of championship finals with his preliminary efforts. He was third in the 100 backstroke in a tightly contested field where less than half a second separated the top four competitors. In the 400 individual medley, his time of 4:18.07 as fifth during qualifying.
- All events during session four were prelimaries, with no team points awarded.