FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Anthony Pearson scored seven straight points during an 11-0 run late in the second half as the Blazers came from behind for a 75-72 win in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opener for both teams.
The win was Hood's fifth straight and improved the Blazers to 6-1 overall and 1-0 in the MAC Commonwealth.
Inside the Box Score
- Pearson recorded a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds. He went 4 of 5 from 3-point range.
- Mason Wang scored 18 points on 4 of 6 3-point shooting and 6 of 12 overall.
- Evan Wang finished with 11 points on 3 of 5 from behind the arc and led Hood with five assists.
- The Blazers knocked down 13 of 27 (48 percent) 3-point field goals.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed 67-60 before Evan Wang scored with 3:32 left in the game to start the Blazers' comeback. He assisted on a Pearson 3-pointer 24 seconds later that chipped the deficit to 67-65. Pearson took a pass from Ian Eversull with 1:48 to go and tied the game with a layup. Peason grabbed the rebound on the Golden Wolves' next possession and was fouled. The sophomore sank both free throws to make it 69-67 with 1:23 remaining. Mason Wang made it a four-point lead with 47 seconds left.
- Malik Green hit a 3-pointer with 29 seconds left to pull Alvernia within one. Two free throws by Keith Claiborne Jr. followed with 24 seconds to go for a 73-70 lead for Hood. Alvernia elected for two on the ensuing possession but Jared Ruiz made a pair of free throws with five seconds left for a 75-72 edge. Green was fouled at the other end for a one-and-one. He missed the first but Kyle Gordon was fouled on the putback attempt. He missed both and despite an offensive rebound, a desperation 3-point attempt at the buzzer was off as Hood held on.
- Nick Youngkin had a game-high 22 points while playing all 40 minutes. Green added 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- The Golden Wolves (3-3, 0-1) shot just 7 of 31 from 3-point range (23 percent).
Hood looks to stay in the win column at Arcadia on Saturday, December 1.