GLENSIDE, Pa. - Hood College's Mason Wang set a pair of school records with a career-high 36 points as the men's basketball team dispatched Arcadia 91-85 in the team's season finale.
Inside the Box Score
- Wang set school records for points by a freshman and points by a player coming off the bench in the win. It tied for the fifth most points in a game overall in school history. He went 12 of 17 from the field, 6 of 9 from 3-point range and 6 of 7 at the free throw line.
- His twin brother, Evan Wang added 15 points and seven assists in the game.
- Playing in his final career game, Luke Casey grabbed 11 rebounds.
- Daniel Wegener came off the bench for 11 points as the Hood reserves outscored their counterparts 54-18.
- Hood shot 47 percent in the contest, including 12 of 30 from 3-point range (40 percent).
How it Happened
- Arcadia led 8-3 early, but a 31-9 run took command of the game for the Blazers. Mason Wang made his first appearance with Hood trailing 9-8 with 14:18 left in the half. On his first offensive possession, he knocked down a 3-pointer to give the Blazers the lead. He scored 17 points during the run, including a 3-point shot that made it 34-17 with 7:24 remaining.
- Wang went 8 for 8 shooting with four 3-pointers in the half and scored 21 points to lead Hood to a 48-32 halftime lead.
- The Knights cut the lead to nine early in the half, but another 3-pointer by Wang and two free throws by the freshman sent the lead back to 53-39 with 16:19 to go.
- The Blazers' lead swelled to as many as 23, 81-58, with 5:09 remaining on a 3-pointer by Jared Ruiz before Arcadia made a late run. The Knights outscored Hood 27-10 down the stretch, but time was not on their side as the Blazers held on for the win.
- Four players scored in double figures for Arcadia, led by Josh Scott's 17 points. Da'kquan Davis added 15, Phil Pierfy scored 14 and Evan Slone netted a dozen. Pierfy added 10 rebounds for the double-double.
- Hood limited the Knights to just 5 of 27 from 3-point range (19 percent), but Arcadia shot 30 for 34 at the free throw line (88 percent).
- The last time a Blazer scored more points than Wang's 36 was in last year's season finale, also against Arcadia, when Scott Bolen poured in 39.
The win, Hood's second straight, completed a 10-15 season for the Blazers.