FREDERICK, Md. - A 41-9 run over the final 15 minutes and 46 seconds erased a 10-point Hood College deficit as the men's basketball team defeated Messiah 71-40 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
Inside the Box Score
- After a pregame ceremony to honor him as the team's only senior, Luke Casey turned in a double-double to help lead the charge. He hit 3 of 5 field goals to finish with 10 points. The forward led the team with 11 rebounds in the contest.
- Ian Eversull came off the bench for a team-high 14 points on 4 of 5 from 3-point range. The duo of Eversull and Christian Evans combined for 25 points off the bench as the Hood reserves outscored their counterparts 37-4.
- Michael Riley had 10 points and Evan Wang dished out five assists.
How it Happened
- The Blazers trailed 40-30 with 15:46 to play in the game before a Jared Ruiz 3-pointer started the game-changing run. Hood's defense held Messiah to just 4 of 23 shooting (17 percent) during the 41-9 run. Eversull powered the comeback with 11 of his 14 points in the second half, including three 3-pointers.
- Hood opened the game with a 7-0 run, but Messiah responded immediately with a 16-0 stretch to take the lead. A layup by Evans made it 30-26 with 2:29 left in the half, but Messiah extended the lead to 34-28 at halftime.
- Hood then shot 52 percent in the second half, while a 2 for 16 effort from 3-point range dragged Messiah's second-half mark to 21 percent.
- Colin Sareyka and Neil Murren combined for 35 points for the Falcons. Sareyka and Josh Darville were the only two players to score in the second half for Messiah with Sareyka finishing with a game-high 20 points.
- Darville grabbed 10 rebounds, but Hood held a 34-27 edge on the glass.
- Hood went 18 for 21 at the free throw line (86 percent).
The Blazers head to Arcadia on February 17.