ROANOKE, Va. - Hood College's Michael Riley scored a career-high 22 points and the Blazers attempted a season-high 42 free throws in an 81-61 win in the consolation game of the Cregger Invitational at Roanoke College.
Inside the Box Score
- Riley's performance earned the sophomore all-tournament honors. He went 7 of 15 shooting, including 4 of 10 from 3-point range, and added three steals. It was the fourth straight game that Riley scored in double figures.
- Evan Wang shot 4 for 5 on his way to 12 points. The freshman added four steals to his afternoon.
- Nathaniel Christian went a perfect 6 for 6 at the free throw line on his way to 10 points.
- Luke Casey was one point shy of a double-double for the second straight day with nine points and 11 rebounds.
- The Blazers went 28 of 42 at the free throw line (67 percent), while Goucher attempted only five foul shots in the game.
How it Happened
- A 3-pointer by Goucher's Gabe Ceribelli put the Gophers ahead 14-12 with 11:18 to go in the first half. Christian tied the game and later scored the final four points of a 13-2 run that gave Hood a 25-16 edge with 6:39 remaining in the half.
- Casey put the Blazers ahead by 14, 36-22, with 1:45 left before Hood carried a 40-29 lead into halftime.
- Ceribelli pulled Goucher within 43-37 in the opening minutes of the second half but an 8-2 surge, including four points from Riley, stretched the lead back to double figures. The Gophers never pulled within nine after that with Hood going ahead by as many as 23 in the closing seconds.
- Elliott Wiley led the Gophers with 16 points and eight boards. Dwayne Morton added 11 points, while Devon Esslinger scored 10.
- Hood held a 46-27 edge in rebounding. A total of 21 of the Blazers' boards were on the offensive glass as Hood outscored the Gophers 19-9 on second-chance points.
- Goucher went just 8 of 27 from 3-point distance (30 percent).
Hood is idle for 13 days before St. Vincent visits BB&T Arena on December 30.