FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College men's basketball team had no answer for Catholic's Jay Howard as the Blazers fell 100-82 on the second day of the Rotary of Frederick Holiday Classic.
Inside the Box Score
- Howard hit 13 of 18 field goals for the Cardinals and finished with 32 points and 12 rebounds.
- Nathaniel Christian led the Blazers with 14 points.
- Luke Casey had a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Kobe Butler scored 12 points.
- A pair of reserves came off the bench to reach double figures. Daniel Wegener scored 12 and Brandon Howell finished with 10 points.
How it Happened
- Hood led 13-9 after a layup by Wegener with 13:43 left in the first half. The next seven minutes featured nine lead changes and five ties before a bucket by Ross Gerber made it 31-26 with 6:02 remaining. The Cardinals continued to inch away and led 50-38 at halftime.
- A 3-pointer by Butler in the opening minutes of the second half cut the deficit to nine, but Hood could get no closer. The Cardinals pulled away, leading by as many as 29.
- Gerber had 18 points off the bench for CUA.
- Hood shot 9 of 22 from 3-point range (41 percent), but Catholic shot 11 of 21 from distance (52 percent) and connected on 51 percent overall.
- The Blazers were 29 of 43 at the free throw line (67 percent), while Catholic only attempted 25 free throws in the contest.
- Christopher Newport defeated Wilmington (Ohio) 82-64 in the championship game. CNU's Aaron McFarland was named the tournament's most outstanding player. Joining him on the all-tournament team were Casey, Howard, Spencer Marin from CNU, Will Patrick from Wilmington and Nathan Scott from Wilmington.
Hood travels to East. Mennonite on November 21 for a 5:30 p.m. tip off.