GLENSIDE, Pa. - Hood College used a four-run sixth inning to capture a 9-7 win at Arcadia in the opener of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth series between the two teams.
Inside the Box Score
- Nathan Kessler had Hood's only extra-base hit of the day with a triple. He finished 2 for 6 with a stolen base and three runs batted in. The stolen base was the 47th of his career to break the Blazers' school record.
- Every Blazer had a hit in the game, including five players who turned in multi-hit days.
- Dylan Beck went 3 for 5.
- Trent Copenhaver was on base four times via two hits and two walks.
- Brady Ward and Derek Wyld each went 2 for 4.
- Brad Sawyer picked up the win. He allowed seven runs on eight hits and two walks over five innings.
- Des Grimes pitched four scoreless innings for his second save of the year. He allowed just two hits, struck out four and did not walk a batter.
How it Happened
- With the score tied at 5-5 in the top of the sixth, six straight Blazers reached with two outs. Jordan Patterson and Beck singled to put a pair on. Joe Kroeger and Copenhaver drew back-to-back walks with Patterson scoring on Copenhaver's for a 6-5 lead. After a pitching change, an error allowed two runs to come home. A run-scoring single by Brady Ward made it 9-5 before the end of the inning.
- An RBI single by Sean Carew and a sacrifice fly from Phil Pierfy pulled the Knights within 9-7 in the bottom of the inning before Grimes got Arcadia to hit into a 643 double play to end the inning.
- From there, Grimes sat down 11 of the last 12 batters he faced to end the game.
- Before the bullpens silenced the offenses for the final three innings, the two teams had traded leads for the first six frames.
- Pierfy had put the Knights ahead in the first with an RBI groundout that knocked in Zak Thomas.
- Copenhaver singled in the second and scored on a sacrifice fly by Wyld to the game.
- In the third, Kessler led off with a single, stole second and scored on a base hit by Kroeger to make it 2-1.
- Pierfy tied the game with an RBI single in third and a sacrifice fly by Trevor Mattson scored Thomas to give Arcadia the lead.
- Hood went head 5-3 in the fourth when Kessler followed back-to-back-to-back singles by Ward, Wyld and Alex Staton with a bases-clearing triple.
- Arcadia scored single runs in the fourth and fifth to tie the game.
- Pierfy doubled among his three hits and drove in three. Bryan Gillen matched his three hits.
- Jeremy Sabathne took the loss. He was charged with all nine runs on 10 hits and four walks. He struck out two. Luke Fournier pitched 3.1 scoreless innings, giving up four hits.
- Hood improved to 18-9-1 on the year, including 9-4 in the MAC Commonwealth. Arcadia is 17-10 and 10-3.
The two teams finish the season series with a doubleheader at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium on Saturday, April 13 at noon.