FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College baseball team won game two of a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader to clinch the third-seed in the upcoming conference tournament. The Pride won game one 8-2 before the Blazers rebounded for a 13-4 in the nightcap.
Jordan Patterson went 2 for 2 in the second game with a double, two walks, two runs and four RBIs. Nate Luscombe picked up the win, his seventh of the year. Eric Turner hit his team-leading third homer of the season in the opener.
Before the opener, Hood honored its first four-year senior class for their contributions to the program. Ryan Atkinson, Andrew Catone, Esposito, Jake Franke, Drake Friend, Gall, Dylan Johnson, Zach Scheuerman, Eric Turner and Brooks Warrenfeltz.
Widener 8, Hood 2
- Widener led 2-0 before a six-run fourth broke the game open.
- The Pride took the lead in the second on a two-run homer by Stephen DeBellis. He drove in the first run of the fourth and Michael Garofalo hit a two-run home run in the inning to cap the scoring for Widener.
- Turner hit his homer to left-center in the bottom of the fourth. Friend scored in the sixth when a pickoff throw to third sailed down the leftfield line.
- Atkinson took the loss, allowing five runs in 3.1 innings. Franke and Ryan D'Allesandro combined to keep Widener scoreless over the final 3.1 innings.
- Dylan Peiffer pitched a complete game for the win.
- DeBellis, Glenn Seymour, Dylan Morrissette and Brennan Taylor each had two hits for Widener.
Hood 13, Widener 4
- The Blazers scored seven runs in the fifth to break a 4-4 tie.
- Esposito had three hits, while Johnson and Patterson had two apiece. All three players doubled, as did Joe Kroeger.
- Luscombe allowed four runs in five innings for the win. Jahlin Jean-Baptiste and Jake Howell pitched scoreless innings of relief.
- Daniel Shepherd was hit by a pitch to lead off the fifth. He stole second and moved to third on a wild pitch. After Dylan Johnson walked, Friend walked with one out and ball four got away, allowing Shepherd to come home with the go-ahead run. Beck and Patterson had run-scoring singles to make it 8-4 before a bunt-single by Esposito drove in a run. Johnson drove in the inning's final runs with a two-run base hit for an 11-4 lead.
- Hood added two runs in the sixth to pull away.
- Greg Elfreth and Nick D'Alessandro had three hits apiece for Widener.
- Hood is 28-9 and 12-9 in the MAC Commonwealth, while Widener sits at 20-17 and 11-10.
- The doubleheader was played at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium, home of the Frederick Keys.
Hood travels to Johns Hopkins on Monday, April 30.