FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's bullpen retired all 10 batters it faced, including six via strikeout, in a 4-3 win over visiting Eastern Mennonite in non-conference baseball action.
Jahlin Jean-Baptiste entered the game with two on and two out in the sixth. After inducing a flyout to end the inning, the sophomore struck out the side in the seventh for the win. Jake Howell fanned three in the eighth and ninth for the save.
Inside the Box Score
- Dylan Johnson went 2 for 3 with a double and a walk. He scored twice.
- Drake Friend doubled and Jordan Patterson added a triple.
- Starter Jake Franke did not factor into the decision. He allowed three runs in 5.2 innings on eight hits and a walk. Franke struck out six.
How it Happened
- Hood took a 1-0 lead in the second when Johnson doubled and scored on a groundout by Friend.
- An RBI double by Daniel Scott tied the game in the third before the Blazers reclaimed the advantage in a two-run fourth. Nathan Kessler was hit by a pitch to lead off the frame and stole second. Johnson followed with an RBI base hit for a 2-1 lead. A one-out double by Friend put runners on second and third and Patterson grounded out to short to drive in Johnson for a two-run edge.
- Matt Culbreath drove in two with a sixth-inning single to tie the game.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Patterson was hit by a pitch and Brad Sawyer singled to open the inning. After Sawyer stole second, an error allowed Patterson to score what proved to be the winning run.
- Hood improved to 22-5 on the year, while EMU dropped to 11-19.
- Scott and Billy Quinn recorded two hits each for the Royals.
- Austin Carroll took the loss. He gave up four runs in six innings on six hits and a walk.
The Blazers travel to Catholic on April 11 for a 4 p.m. start.