FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Dylan Beck tied the game with a two-run double and later scored the winning run, all during a three-run eighth inning, as the Blazers came from behind to defeat Lancaster Bible 5-4.
The win improved Hood to 5-0 on the season. The five consecutive victories are a school record.
Inside the Box Score
- Beck went 3 for 4 with a bunt single in addition to his game-tying double.
- Dylan Johnson set a school record with four bases on balls in the game.
- After replacing Jake Franke in the third inning, Jake Howell pitched five innings of one-hit relief and allowed just a single earned run in relief. Ryan D'Allesandro picked up the win with a perfect eighth inning before Jordan Patterson locked down his first save of the year.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed 4-2 heading into the bottom of the eighth. Brooks Warrenfeltz led off with a single and Drake Friend was hit by a pitch to put two runners on. After a wild pitch, Beck doubled into left-center to drive in both runners, tying the game at 4-4. The Chargers tried to pick Beck off and the throw went into center field to move him over to third. Cam Esposito's sacrifice fly to center brought Beck in for the go-ahead run.
- Patterson allowed a single and a walk in the ninth but struck out the final two batters of the game looking to close out the game.
- Lancaster Bible scored three runs in the first to take the lead. Adam Cohick drew a bases-loaded walk to bring in a run and Matt Taylor was hit by a pitch to make it 2-0. JJ Sanchez stretched the lead to three with a single to left that drove in a run.
- Esposito scored Hood's first run in the third. He walked, stole second and scored after a pair of wild pitches.
- Hood cut it to 3-2 in the fourth. Wayne Baldwin led off the inning with a pinch-hit double and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Friend.
- In the fifth, the Chargers used a pair of Hood errors to extend the lead to 4-2.
- The Blazers loaded the bases on walks in the seventh, but Taylor Greenly came on in relief and forced a 463 double play to end the inning.
- In the top of the eighth with a runner on second and two outs, Esposito made a diving catch to end the inning, setting up Hood's comeback in the bottom of the inning.
- Greenly took the loss as the third of four pitchers for Lancaster Bible. He allowed three earned runs in 0.2 innings. Zack Leonard pitched the first 4.1 innings and allowed just two hits, but walked five.
- Braden Elliott and Josh Mayer had two hits each for the Chargers. Will Welsh singled and walked twice.
Hood travels to Gallaudet on Wednesday, February 28.