FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College baseball team battled the weather and City College of New York, sweeping the Beavers 4-0 and 3-1 in the head coaching debut for Michael Impellittiere.
The Blazers' pitchers carried the day as the Nate Luscombe, Brad Sawyer and Ryan Atkinson combined to allow just one run on three hits over 14 innings as the two teams battled cold and at times heavy rain at Frederick Community College. Dylan Beck led the offense with two hits in game one and a pair of sacrifices in the second game.
- Nate Luscombe twirled a one-hit shutout, striking out six.
- Hood got on the board in the second inning with a double by Dylan Beck that drove in Wayne Baldwin.
- The Blazers stretched the lead to 3-0 in the third. A sacrifice fly by Jordan Patterson knocked in Josh Gall and Baldwin followed with an RBI single that scored Dylan Johnson.
- Beck scored in the sixth on a groundout by Brooks Warrenfeltz for the final run.
- The Blazers had six hits in the game but drew seven walks. Baldwin and Beck had two hits apiece. Gall and Johnson both walked twice. Hood stole four bases in the contest, including two by Gall.
- CCNY's only hit came in the first inning on a single by Sardar Khanbilvardi.
- Cal Romano took the loss for the Beavers. He allowed three runs in four innings on four hits and four walks.
- Hood pulled off the rare feat of winning a game without any hits as the Blazers used five bases on balls, a hit batsman and three CCNY errors to score three runs.
- Small ball was the name of the game. Hood picked up four sacrifices, including two by Beck and one each by Nathan Kessler and Quinn Fulton.
- Hood scored first with a run in the third. Drake Friend walked to lead off the inning, advanced to second on a sacrifice and got to third on a wild pitch. Beck executed a squeeze that brought Friend in for the 1-0 lead.
- Brandon Gianikos drove in Brett Jacquez in the fifth for CCNY to tie the game but the deadlock was short-lived. Just like the third inning, Friend led things off with a walk. On another bunt attempt by Fulton, the Beavers threw the ball away and Friend came all the way around for the go-ahead run. Esposito walked and stole second to put runners on second and third for Kessler. The junior hit a grounder to second that scored Fulton for a 3-1 edge.
- Brad Sawyer and Ryan Atkinson outdueled Jeffrey Diaz and Michael Espinal on the mound, despite the latter duo combining for the no-hitter. Sawyer picked up the win with six innings of work, allowing just two hits and a run, striking out three. Atkinson struck out two in the seventh for the save. Diaz walked five and hit a batter in 4.2 innings to take the loss.
- Friend and Esposito each walked twice for the Blazers.
Hood travels to Penn State Brandywine for a doubleheader on Sunday, February 25.